Translate

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Lies we believe about ourselves

It is easy for all of us to believe the lies about ourselves. For men it is the lie that we aren't making enough, aren't as strong or virile, not as handsome or smart enough.  Woman believe the lies of I'm not as pretty,  I'am too fat, no one likes me, and I will never attract a man.

After Jesus had fasted for 40 days and 40 nights he was tempted by the devil.  After not eating for 40 days anybody would be severely weakened and probably on the verge of hallucinating.  This was the point where the devil tempted Jesus. The devil told Jesus that if you are the son of God turn this stone into bread. Jesus came back and said "it is written man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from mouth of God. 

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had Jesus stand on the highest point of the temple and said to him that "if you are the son of God then throw yourself down. For it is written, "He will command his angels over you and they will lift you up in their hands so that you will not strike you foot against a stone" Again Jesus said " do not put the Lord your God to the test".

Again the Devil took Jesus to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. All this I will give you, he said, if you will bow down and worship me1" Jesus said to him, "Away from me Satan!  For it is written: "Worship the Lord your God and serve him only"  It was at this point the devil parted.

As I reflect on my life I find that I am most vulnerable to the devil's lies about myself when I am short on sleep, overworked, didn't get enough exercise, have eaten too much junk food, haven't gone to church in a while, or have unresolved conflicts in my relationships.  As I reflected on this it occurred to me that this is a universal feeling with mankind. Instead of believing the devil's lies we must believe God's truth. We must remind ourselves that we are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14)  I am a child of God (John 1:12) I am a branch of the true Vine and a conduit of Christ life (John 15) I am a friend of Jesus (John 15:15) I have been justified and redeemed (Romans 3:24) My old self has been crucified with Christ and I am no longer a slave to sin (Romans 6:6) I will not be condemned by God (Romans 8:1)As a child of God I am a fellow heir of Christ 
(Romans 8:17) I have been accepted by Christ (Romans 15:7). 

These are the truths we should be telling ourselves because as we learned in Jesus's 40 days of temptations He overcame the devil's lies. If he can overcome the lies of the devil think how victorious we can be if we remember the truths about ourselves.  We know how the story ends and it ends on a victorious note for all those in Christ! So go ahead and resist the devil because the one who dwells in you has overcome the world!!


No comments:

Post a Comment