Translate

Saturday, April 7, 2012

He is risen, He is risen indeed!

As a kid, Easter morning meant finding the baskets full of candy and other things my parents would stuff inside. It meant  sugar high's for the rest of the day and a full stomach of  treats so it spoiled the traditional Easter dinner following church.

As I grew I realized that Easter meant much more than bunny rabbits and sweet candy. Easter morning meant that Jesus  Christ had risen from the grave and he conquered death.  Just as sin pointed to one man Adam, Salvation pointed to Christ. The resurrection of Christ restored the relationship between man and God. No longer were we tied to sacrifices made twice each day. No longer were we to find the perfect lamb for our sacrifice. Jesus became God's perfect sacrifice for our sin nature.

I loved Resurrection Sunday because it was a morning of happy praise songs to Christ and it was a time to reflect on our salvation and looking forward to spending life eternal with our Savior. Easter took on new meaning for me when at the young age of 18 I prayed to receive Christ in my heart after having the Gospel explained to me in the form of the four Spiritual laws booklet.

 I had always gone to church, been involved in Sunday school classes and even been through Confirmation classes,  but the booklet helped me to realize the importance of making a personal decision for Christ.

 I remember that evening well. It was at the Minnetonka Community Church Coffee house and I remembered the Christian band that played that night.  I was with friends.  My heart was ripe that evening. A fellow believer invited me to pray the prayer of salvation that evening.

 As I look back I have to say that accepting Jesus Christ into my heart at 18 was perhaps the single most important decision I ever made in my life. Over the course of time I have learned that the longer a person waits before making such a decision the odds are good they will never make it. I often wonder how many people are perishing because their lives get so busy that they crowd out the important things in life?

 The decision you make for Christ is the very foundation from which all future decisions are made.  I realize after making the  decision for Christ that Easter was more than just sweet candy and watching children's faces light up with the chocolate bunny.  Easter became a time to remember what Christ did for you when he died for your sin's on the cross.. Easter morning is a time to reflect on the risen Christ.Easter morning is a reminder that no one has to be afraid of dying!

No comments:

Post a Comment