Translate

Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Life without Christ is like an athlete without a playbook





I was thinking about this the other day. Like the athlete a Christian has a play book.  A book that is proven and filled with many ancient texts filled with stories of God's deliverance in years gone which help those in the present to live and navigate through the mine fields of life. John Piper said one time in his talk "that world history is a never ending conveyor belt of horribly dead bodies".  There is no shortage of bad news to sell newspapers.


When you read the ancient texts of what we know as the bible you find stories that have been proven that shows how God delivered his people who relied on Him for their safety and for their provisions. Over and over the theme of God's redemption of his people fill the pages of the bible.  This theme builds up until it reaches a crescendo with the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ in the four gospels.

God has given us a play book that is meant to guide us through this sometimes painful life. He knew that since sin occupies this earth that there would be pain and suffering. He wanted to give us the hope that a day will come in the future when our earthly bodies will stop existing and we would be brought into a new existence in heaven.

As a dad who experience tragedy 5 years ago with the sudden passing of my daughter I can tell you that there hasn't been a day that hasn't gone by where God's playbook hasn't helped me to recover from my pain. Reading the stories in the old testament was a reminder to me that God will deliver me through the pain. Reading the gospels was a reminder for me to keep His words in my mind at all times so as I go through hard days I am reminded that God is there with me.

A person who has never known the love of Christ is very much like a Athlete without a playbook. To travel aimlessly through life and being side swiped by occasional pain and suffering and wondering why is a strange way to exist.  God's playbook put's our lives into proper perspective and reminds us that while we are in this world there will be pain and suffering. Instead of turning to drugs and alcohol to cope with the pain and suffering a Christian will lean on the ancient texts to find comfort during his trials.

Yes, tomorrow is the NFL draft where the best athletes who mastered the playbook  will have the opportunity to see if there name will be called to bring their college careers to a crescendo with a nice signing bonus and a generous contract.  Enjoy the draft and remember that God's playbook helps us to navigate through a life that is often uncertain and painful.

 If you do not know the savior I encourage you to say these words: " Dear Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and have no hope of going to heaven on my good works. I know that you died on the cross for my sin's and you were buried and on the 3rd day you rose from the dead. I ask you to come into my life and take up residence. I know it says in your word that you will never leave me, nor forsake me even in times of trouble. I  find comfort from your word that when my life ends that I will finally see you face to face in heaven and will not have to face the judgement seat because you paid for my sins with the sacrifice you made on the cross. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment