Translate

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Planes Trains and Automobiles Ending Scene






40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40


Planes, Trains, and Automobiles are more than just a funny slapstick of the mishaps that come with travel.  Del Griffith and Neil Page are two businessmen, unlikely friends, tossed together in their quest to get home to their wives for Thanksgiving. One mishap after another happens that test their friendship. John Candy, aka Del Griffith, is a curtain ring salesman, with a brash sense of humor that rubs Neil Page, aka Steve Martin, the wrong way with each scene. Both are looking forward to seeing their wives once again. Fast forward and now these two characters are standing on the platform of the elevated train station saying goodbye and wishing the other person well. The train approaches and Neil Page steps onboard while his friend stands alone.  In this one scene, Neil is reflecting on the memories of their comical mishaps when he realized that both of them were standing on that platform, but only he got on the train.  Neil returns to the same spot he said his goodbye, but this time discovers his friend inside the station waiting area sitting forlornly with his trunk nearby.  It was then Neil discovers that his friend had nowhere to go because his wife died 8 years ago. So, he invites his friend to come to his home to meet his wife and his children for Thanksgiving.

So often we judge another person's character based on their brash outward appearances. or the negative vibes they set off.  We discard them because of their drama. This is human nature, but something that God cautions us from doing just that with these words from Matthew 25:
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

In other words, our Lord reminds us to learn to walk in another person's shoes before lambasting them and tossing them to the trash heap of undesirable friendships.  We must try to listen to the stories of those who are grieving.  As one immigrant from Liberia said to me, "why can't people understand that so many of my people are suffering from trauma after being forced from their life long homes for a new country willing to take us in?"

 The world wants us to hang out with those who make us feel good about ourselves, but God reminds us to get to know their stories and extend a hand out to help them up.

Tonight, I will begin a new 13-week Griefshare cycle helping those to walk through the pain, not around it. I'm looking forward to being the hands and feet of Jesus helping others recover from grief.





No comments:

Post a Comment