Translate

Saturday, November 3, 2012

I feel so good...the importance of eating right while grieving



But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Ever get a song stuck in your head when you are trying to sleep? I did.  Since I made a conscious decision to limit my intake of carbohydrates I have been feeling better and more energized than the day before I started it.  My shirts are fitting better and I am starting to feel sooooo good.  When I saw this video spoof of James Brown singing the song that made him famous I knew I had to post on this blog.

 A lot of people who  grieve will gravitate to the comfort foods because they help them feeling good. I know I did!  They taste great while going down, but the problem is I  wanted more of that high fat, high calorie stuff.   For me this high calorie comfort food would not burn off and I would gain weight during the grieving process. This is in some way a natural reaction to the sudden losses we see in our lives. A good friend dies and we go out and buy a dozen cookies to help us feel good when over whelming grief envelops us.

As I look back I remember the words that the police chaplain gave our family the night Maria died. "Make sure you drink lots of water because the natural inclination we have in our times of grief is to forsake the life giving forces of water. This may sound like a funny statement, but Pastor Jason was right.  We have an obligation to take care of our bodies while we grieve.

I think it is important to add here that not everyone should be on a low carbohydrate regimen and if you have any health issues at all you might want to see  your doctor first before starting any diet regimen. The bottom line is we need to take care of ourselves during the grief process. The journey of our love one may have ended, but our journey continues and we have a lot of people depending on us to want to let them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment