Translate

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Maria Osmond's first interview following the suicide of her son, Michael



This was Marie Osmond's first interview after her son committed suicide just 8 months before the interview. This interview illustrates how grief can compound itself and cause a person to make irrational decisions leading to the act of suicide. Marie describes for example the death of her dad, her very public divorce and her son being unable to deal with the various losses because as Marie describes it her son loved his family and could not handle losing those he loved.

I encourage you to reach out to friends who may have experience a suicide of a loved one and let them know that you are there for them.  I encourage you to watch this video because I believe it will illustrate what people go through when a family member decides to commit suicide.  

If you have ever contemplated taking your life you must know that there are resources available for you in the community to help you recover from your pain. You are as close to getting help as a simple 9-1-1 call.

After our daughter Maria died unexpectedly on June 10th, 2007 I made sure that my emotional needs were properly addressed when I started therapy with a Clinical Psychologist. I knew I could not fight this battle alone and I needed someone who I could talk to in order to process the shock and despair I was dealing with at the time.  

There is a light at the end of the tunnel of grief. It does get better, but you must stay committed to the course of recovery and endure painful nights and days full of sadness before you begin to turn the corner and begin feeling normal. The friends who walk this journey with you and the professionals who listen to your pain are there to help navigate you to the goal line of recovery. Then one day you will notice a faint smile return to your face as you remember your loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment