Translate

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Some observations from a election judge


I have been an election judge for over 20 years and I have enjoyed my experiences of overseeing the election process.  It brings a smile to my face every time a new first time voter comes to the polls to cast their ballot.

 It is often considered the rite of passage into adulthood for many high school seniors who were fortunate to turn 18 just before the election. I remember my son coming home from voting and telling me how the election judge referred to him as Mr. Gabrielson and him thinking that my dad isn't here and who is this Mr. Gabrielson?  My son said he took great pains over looking through the entire ballot and noticing all of the details on the ballot. The course he took in AP American history helped prepared him for this civic duty.

I wish I could say that the people in the precinct I worked at had the same attitude, but they didn't.  As judges we have to certify the election by going through every ballot where the voter wrote in a candidate instead of selecting the candidate on the ballot.

 Examining some of the ballots I noticed that on several of them they only voted for the constitutional amendments while leaving the rest ballot blank.  Many voters came to us when there ballot was rejected and when I glanced at their ballot I noticed they had blackened in the ovals of every candidate.  Really?  You voted for ALL of the presidential candidates?   I had one lady ask if she really had to vote for the candidates she didn't know? Really? So you take voting so lightly that you haven't taken the time to become informed before coming to the polls?

Ladies and gentlemen, don't you realize that there were men and woman who died on foreign soil just so you could have the right to vote?  To take your civic duty so lightly is akin to spitting on the graves of these men and woman who fought for your right to vote.

Voter apathy is at all time high with the recent numbers that showed  the 2012 election had the lowest turnout not since the 2004 election.  Have we become such a pleasure seeking society that we cannot even take a moment to read about the people who are running?  All it takes is to go down to your County courthouse and request information on the candidates.

 Apathy is so high that we cannot even get people to  serve as election judges! This was quite evident at this year's general election where every polling place was grossly understaffed!  How is it possible to maintain the integrity of the election process if people cannot be found to monitor the process?  In two years we will have another election.  Won't you consider giving your time so the integrity of the election process can be maintained?

No comments:

Post a Comment