Translate

Sunday, June 17, 2012

What makes a father?




No man is perfect.We all make mistakes and we all fall short of the standard we desire to reach as a father.As I look at my son I can honestly say how very proud I am of him. There were times I wonder if I had fallen short in raising him. Many times I had played the I shoulda, I coulda, and the what if game. Like a head coach you rerun the plays in your mind wondering if you could have done something different at that particular moment in time.


Life is not a movie script that is well rehearsed before it is filmed. It is a first run production filled with many mistakes and imperfections. What really makes the role of being a father relevant in the life of a child is for the dad to admit to their child when they were wrong. It is spending time with them so their sense of self esteem and security is solidified. It is for the dad to model Christ in their lives so their children will more easily see Jesus.


It is comforting to know that although we as dad's are imperfect, ill equipped, and ill prepared to raise a child we have a Father in heaven to show us what it is like to be a dad. We have a Father in heaven who came to earth as a humble baby raised by poor parents, taught a trade, and lived a humble life until he began his public ministry. We have a father in heaven who loved his children so much that he was willing to die on the cross for our sin's just so we can spend eternity with Him. Our God demonstrated to us earthly dad's how self sacrifice can change the hearts and minds of children. He is our model in being a dad.


Happy Father's day to all the dad's out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment