Translate

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The George Floyd murder by a Minneapolis police officer has taught me once again that racism is very real in United states of America




My heart was broken as I saw another racist event happen in Minneapolis by 4 police officers on a black man who was pulled over for a non-violent charge. To be pulled from one's car and forced on the ground with the police officer's knee on this man's neck is horrific and never should have happened. I believe that racism is an epidemic problem in our country and I wonder if George Floyd had been a white man would he still be alive? My guess is 'yes' I think so. 

Over the years, I have listened to stories of black men over the injustices delivered to them in order to educate my 'white' friends black men have a reason to be fearful of law enforcement.  To be pulled over like George Floyd was and treated like an animal is horrific and never should have happened.

I remember one of our pastors giving a talk on racism to our Church Sunday school class and watching many of those who were there that day leave the church for other places- they did not want to accept their contribution to the problem of racism.  I tried to reason with several of them to no avail.

 What possessed this police officer to treat George Floyd this way? A black man who had a girlfriend and living in St. Louis Park, Minnesota who worked as a security guard at the Caribbean night club. A man who came to Minnesota because his girlfriend said that Minnesota is a great place to start over- in most cases it is, but law enforcement rattled our cages when a black man can wind up dead.

As a Christian, I believe God does not look kindly on folks that torture and kill people. I would like to think that this police officer responsible for this horrific crime will face a greater punishment when he takes his final breath.  As a Christian, I am reminded by bible verses like:

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 New International Version (NIV)

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

There is nothing in that verse that gives approval to the treatment of this black man.  We have got to stop looking at black people as less than humans whenever we cross paths in the grocery wondering if he/she is on the WIC program.  Every person regardless of the color of their skin deserves respect and to be treated with dignity. 

To those who knew George Floyd, I'm truly sorry that this had to happen this way.  It is moments like these I wished I could reverse the earth's current to several minutes before the fatal attack so George can avoid this tragedy.  I think the death of this black man is a wake-up call that racism really does exist in this country and that we have to be part of the solution to fix this problem. I encourage everyone to travel to see the civil rights museums to learn more about institutional racism.  With God's help, we must do better in the area of understanding our black brothers and sisters by learning to walk in their shoes.

To end institutional racism companies need to promote more people of minority status to management positions while treating them by the same standard as we treat those born 'white'. With God's help we can win this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment