Translate

Saturday, May 2, 2020

If you want to watch a very uplifting movie I recommend the story of Harriett Tubman, about the vision God gave her to free her fellow slaves.


If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. ..

Every once in a  while there comes a movie that tugs at the emotional heart strings of mankind. This movie is one of those that certainly brought tears to my eyes as I watched each scene unfold.  It is  a story about the life of Harriett Tubman, a woman raised from the time she was a young girl on a southern plantation where the life of a slave was measured by how how they can work. At the time, a black American's were treated with ill repute by these southern slave owners. Slaves were often bought and sold at random with many families broken up as though they were baseball cards being traded.  

Harriett had a rich prayer life that was illustrated in this movie.  When she was a young girl she suffered a head injury from  plantation assault.  It was said that the injury opened up a deep devotion with her Savior, Jesus Christ of which she would lean back to receive a vision from God. 

Harriett came from a Christian family as her grandfather was the local pastor at the black church. The one consolation the southern owner's family gave them was their right to attend church.

One night, Harriett decided to run away from this violent slave owner. Her journey took her on the underground railroad where with the help of divinely planted people made it all the way to Philadelphia which was a free state.

It wasn't enough to be free, but she saw a vision to go back and bring others with her to freedom. As you can imagine, this was a considerably dangerous thing to do, but she trusted the vision from God and went. To make a long story short, she lead 100's of slaves to freedom. 

Like the vision given to Harriett Tubman, Jesus Christ gives us a heart of compassion for the those who were disenfranchised, down trodden and through circumstances many had no control, poor.  Before this pandemic started, many of us were thriving materially with good careers, but when many lost their jobs they suddenly lost their sense of security and happiness.  I've been told that the numbers seeking chemical dependency treatment have increased exponentially, as well as the number of domestic abuse calls.  In some sense, this pandemic has revealed the heart of man for what it really is- a heart filled with vile contempt, wretched,  and valuing money as oppose to things of God. 

If this is you, I urge you to make a decision to turn your life over to God by throwing yourself on your knee and asking Jesus Christ to come into your life.  Like Jesus did for Harriett Tubman, Jesus just might reveal a vision to you on your next journey in life. 

If you are a Christian, but one who is starving on a spiritual level, I encourage you to watch the live stream service at the church my wife and I attend at this link. https://NewHopeChurchmn.org

When Jesus Christ died and resurrected he reenter the world to change the lives of people seeking for answers.  Let God give you the answer you need to cope with this corona virus world.

No comments:

Post a Comment