Translate

Saturday, May 27, 2017

We must start treating mental illness, not as a badge of shame, no different than we might get a cut on the skin




My eyes have grown dim with grief; my whole frame is but a shadow. Job 17:7



I believe that every life that is born is worthy of living. 

Every life regardless of their struggles deserves to be treated with dignity and honor.  

Yet, how often do we discredit someone's depression as simply a weakness of character? When you think about it the human brain is a very complex organism that is used in so many different ways from figuring out complex algorithms to deciding what to eat, what to buy, or what to write on this blog. The brain also handles the emotional aspects of our daily living such as belting out a song or honoring our spouse with a kiss. 

Recently, I learned of a friend who died tragically.  I first heard the news on our local WCCO radio on my way to work. It said simply they recovered a 52-year-old man from the Mississippi River. They found his abandoned car on a bridge.  As soon as I got to work, I went to the WCCO online website and sure enough, they had identified him.He had been missing since the first part of May  

All of us who knew him wept, including his wife, son, and daughter who now must learn how to navigate the road chosen for them without their dad.

I remember several years ago talking with this friend while watching our son's play soccer when he felt comfortable telling me his struggles with depression, but he was on medication and in contact with a doctor.

 I wonder how many of us would be willing to share their struggles with Mental illness if they could find someone willing to listen to their story? 

Mental illness, if left untreated, can lead to a real desire to end one's life. I believe that every life that is born is worthy of living and every life regardless of the journey they are on deserve to find someone to listen to their story.

As a professional who works with those who struggle with mental health problems, I can attest to the difficulty for many to seek appropriate and timely mental health services. 

 I know first hand what that was like not long after my 10-year-old daughter died when I tried to seek out a reputable therapist skilled at treating people afflicted with trauma and being told that since he was not in my insurance plan that I would have to pay out of pocket.

If I had pain in my arm, I could more easily find health services to fix my problem, but for some reason, our health care system doesn't value treating mental health when traumatic grief enters one's life. 

Every life regardless of their struggles deserves to be treated with dignity and honor. This includes the right to find trusted professionals who know how to listen to the stories of people inflicted with trauma.

Simply sweeping the messiness of life under a rug won't cure the problem but will only aggravate that problem with unforeseen health problems. I found this quote that illustrates the importance of working on traumatic grief.

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
With that said, grief isn't something you can simply put inside a box, close the lid, and throw away the key. Every feeling you are experiencing has to be processed one emotion at a time. For some, it will mean finding a trusted therapist who will guide you on this journey.  It also may mean keeping a journal of your daily struggles with grief and being honest with your feelings knowing that you have a God that is big enough to take everything you dish out- all your anger, all your hopelessness and all your pain.

 He wants to be on this journey with you, every step of the way for as long as it takes. I also encourage you to tell your family practice doctor about the trauma you've experienced so he can begin monitoring your vital signs and help you get the services to survive this journey.

The bottom line is this. The loss of a loved one does not have to be the defining moment of your life. Your loved one may not be here for you, but your life still has value in the lives of others.  Your story of trauma may, one day, be used to encourage others walking a similar path as you.

Finally, I leave this link if you are a survivor of some who died from suicide. http://www.survivorsofsuicide.com/  

No comments:

Post a Comment