Translate

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Because of what Jesus did for us over 2000 years ago, we are stronger through the years...


For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39


I recently decided to take out my Discover card and use the special offer of 10 months zero interest financing and pay off my mortgage. As I did so, my mind drifted back to the late winter1991 when I first saw this new housing area not far from the townhome I shared with my recent bride, my wife. As I drove down Robinson drive, I noticed a sign advertising a new housing development. When I turned onto the street, I noticed there was just one model home with multi-color flags pointing to this model. 

The road leading to this home was a dirt road. I soon learned that it use to be camp Guy Robinson, a day camp used by the YMCA.I looked past this house to the sea of trees and ponds that dotted this area and saw with my mind another era of little children hopping off the buses and running to the YMCA camp counselors with clipboards in hand and smiles dotting their faces anticipating helping these kids with having a memorable camping experience. 

 I remember how less than thrilled my bride  was when I mentioned my dream of building a single family home.  When we first got married, she cried tears of joy because for the first time in her life she had roots she could lay down, a husband to love, and a townhome to live in. She grew up in a tiny town and went away for college, for work, and the mission field of Haiti. 

It wasn't long before she allowed herself to dream and watch our home being built next to this model.  As I reflect on the words to this Kenny Rogers song, I was reminded of all the memories we had in that home. Our home became a place where we 'broke bread' together with family, friends, and relatives, became ground central for our two kids when we celebrated their birthdays, invited their friends over for dinner and movie nights.

 Our home became a place of prayer as we prayed for people suffering physically, emotionally or both. This Kenny Rogers song is our banner song for our marriage, as well as our love relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I say this because I know there are many reading this post who have suffered the humiliation of divorce or abandonment when the one you loved decided not to be a part of your life anymore. 

'Through the years' commemorates for me the love relationship we can have with our savior Jesus.  I've learned in the good and bad times that I'm stronger as an individual because of what Jesus personally did for me the moment I opened up the door of my heart as an insecure 18-year-old and asked him to take control of my life. Even in the face of death when our little girl died unexpectedly in the late night hour of June 10, 2007, Jesus was there to comfort and support us by walking with each of us on our unique but different grief journey. 

I'm reminded of the Apostle Paul's words in Romans 8:28-39, " For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

 As I look back through the years of writing out mortgage checks, I can honestly say I wouldn't  change a thing because of the commitment I made to my wife, Linda, and to my Savior Jesus. 

Together, we are stronger through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment