Translate

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Is your belief system built on a solid foundation, or sinking sand?



24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”

Have you ever walked on the beach where you had this sensation of sinking into sand? I know I have and I remembered the feeling I got when I finally made it back on solid ground.  As I watch the daily accounts of the Corona virus I reflect on how my faith and belief in the risen savior, Jesus Christ, has helped me to weather this storm, just as it had with all of the things of the past- things like the Viet Nam war, Watergate, the riots of the 1960's, gas wars of the 70's and several conflicts in the middle east that cost more lives.  

As I think about those things, my mind goes back to the late spring evening in 1974 when I accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and Lord of my life and how God orchestrated the events to encourage and make me stronger as a believer.  It has been said that the bible is the handbook for all humankind. To claim those words of truth which has been tested in time ultimately results in a firm foundation. Matthew 7 talks about the rains and the flood which swept the house built on sand away. In some ways, the corona virus is a metaphorical flood.  It ravishes the land as it takes innocent peoples lives. 

 God had a plan when he decided to send his own son, Jesus, to pay for the penalty of mankind's sin and to die on our behalf as a sacrificial lamb just so that we have an opportunity to be close to God.  For those of us who personally knows this Savior, how many of us have felt the holy spirit whisper of things we needed to hear from God?  This voice is as thought we have the living savior walking beside us like the good shepherd tending to his sheep.  God wants us all to feel secure and safe on a solid foundation of God's  word so that whatever happens to us in this life we will always feel the hope of Christ!

Where is your spiritual house built? Is it built on a forever changing worldview depending on your mood of the day, or is it built on a faith decision you made declaring Jesus as your Savior and Lord. You can know for certain simply by opening the door to your heart and acknowledging that you cannot save yourself based on your accumulated good deeds, but Christ alone.  The decision you made will assure that your spiritual house will remain standing through the future floods.

No comments:

Post a Comment