Translate

Sunday, October 15, 2017

There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death- some early thoughts of a 7-year-old of my grandmothers death





There is a way that seems right to a man,But its end is the way of death. Proverbs 14:12





After enjoying a very good meal with a friend we haven't seen awhile, we drove back home from her house in Big Lake, Minnesota. We took the usual highway 10 back home.



As we approach Anoka, Minnesota I commented to my wife whenever I saw the Anoka sign, as a child, I was reminded we were almost home from our long drive from Ronneby, Minnesota where our grandparents lived. 

As I drove, I remembered the last time our family saw Grandmother Celeste Underdahl alive as she rested at the Milaca hospital. My memory was how my dad drove my mom, my sister and I up to see her. There was no mentioned that her life's  end was near. I remember as a 7-year-old walking into her hospital room seeing this loving grandmother with this gentle grace of a smile who was so glad to see us. When it came time to say goodbye, I didn't think it would be the final goodbye, but simply a see you later goodbye.



We gathered back into the car for our ride home. I remember how eerily quiet it was driving home in the darkened highway 10 road without any conversation, but the occasional soft tears of sadness from my mom. I hadn't connected the dots until later at home when my parents received the news that our grandmother passed away. As a 7-year-old, death was a foreign word to me, but I knew from watching my mom, that this death brought emotional tears of lasting sadness. 

As I've experienced life in so many ways through the years and the meaning of death sank in, I too began to experience those painful remembrances of a life no longer with me. I remember reading somewhere the definition of grief as a reflection of the unique love relationship we have with the one who died and understanding fully why it really hurts us when we experience grief.

Death is ultimately the destination of all human's. We are reminded in 2 Corinthians 4:16 of these words, "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day," as a reminder that as we go through life our bodies will continue breaking down. Yet, Christ is renewing us inwardly day after day. 

I remember clearly the day I accepted Jesus Christ in my life for it was the day I was declared to belong to the Lord. Proverbs remind us that there is a way that may seem right to a man, but its end is the way of death. 

Today, we are seeing an increasing number of people turning to the new age movement because it seems right to them. Yet, Jesus Christ reminds us of this verse in John, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I know from reading the Bible that Jesus wants no one to perish from this life by taking the wrong path. He reminds us that by opening up the door to our hearts and inviting Jesus into our lives that we can have the assurance that if we have a fatal accident or come down with a fatal diagnosis that we would see heaven and spend eternity with all the other saints and our Lord Jesus.

You can know absolutely for certain of experiencing eternal life when death has overwhelmed you with this simple prayer:


Lord Jesus Christ, I know I am a sinner and do not deserve eternal life.
But, I believe You died and rose from the grave to purchase a place in heaven for me.
Lord Jesus, come into my life; take control of my life; forgive my sins and save me.
I repent of my sins and now place my trust in you for my salvation.
I accept the free gift of eternal life.



If you said this prayer,  we are reminded of the assurance of eternal life with this verse from, "1 John 5:11-13 'And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. The one who has the Son has this eternal life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have this eternal life. I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.





We may always have the inner ache whenever we lose someone special to us, but Jesus Christ will make it easier to suffer the pain of your loss by walking with you on your journey through pain for however long it takes to go through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment