Translate

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Spring time is a time of open houses and a time to be a blessing on young people's lives as they make their grand entrance into the world

\

11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith. Romans 1:11



Springtime is a time of high school open houses, a time to impart a blessing on the of a young person who is about to enter a world filled with negativity and hopelessness, some of those people have never known what it means to be blessed.

As God's children, we are called to be a blessing to everyone we encounter in this life, as long as there is breath in us. Yet, in the world we live in I find an absence of encouragers to utter the words that all of us are starving for. So many people grow up in environments that are constantly filled by the barrage of discouraging words that do nothing but tear them down. Some children are raised by parents who are addicted to alcohol and drugs that they fail to see the needs of their kids and their kids grow up basically parenting themselves. It is as though a child is asked to look at themselves in the mirror and carry on this dialog:


"Good morning Sammy, how are you doing."
"Fine, and you?"
"Me too."
"Mom and dad must have drank too much last night."
"I know, their fighting woke me up and I tried to drown out their voices so I could sleep and do well on my test today."
" Oh the test."
"But I don't think I will do well, I'm so tired."

Multiple all of the homes a child is having this dialog and you will see the damage that harsh words have on them- anger toward God, anger toward life, animosity toward others, looking for ways to bully others into submission. 

Our world's economy is paying the price for those disparaging words- suicide, chronic illnesses, disability, etc.

The alternative to those harsh words is to be a blessing to everyone we encounter in this lifetime. Open houses are a time to do just that- to give reminders to a young person that he/she was made in God's own image and has been bestowed with gifts uniquely provided by God on their life  to make it in the world they live in and to be a blessing to others he/she meets in life.

What if every child had this dialog instead?

Dad comes into the room of his child
"Hi Son/Daughter, just wanted you to know how much I love you."
Son/daughter look up at dad.
"Thanks, Dad, I love you too dad, would you pray for my test I have to take today?"
"I sure will. I pray and know you will do well." Dad bends down to give his child a hug for reassurance. Son/daughter reach up with open arms ready to receive dad's hug.

This type of dialog is possible if we have Jesus at the center of our core being. Just think of the amazing miracles around the world as one life in Christ touches another with a blessing!




No comments:

Post a Comment