Translate

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Triggers when you least expect them




But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law Galatians 5:22-23

Tonight, I took a drive up to the NowThen Cemetery where our 10-year-old daughter was buried. The funeral home recommended Now Then as a place to lay her to rest. When we saw this place I understood why. This cemetery is nestled in a rural community that sits across from the NowThen Threshing show and next door to a horse farm.  Our final family vacation we took was to Kentucky where we took the kids to see the horses at Kentucky Derby Park. Aside from that my wife always loved horses and it warmed her heart thinking about traveling to Maria's grave site and seeing the horses out.  

When I walked up to Maria's grave site I was shocked to see someone buried next to her. I was shocked because at the time we buried Maria we had purchased a total of 4 burial plots for each of us.  I knew that this was probably an honest mistake. 

None the less, seeing someone's grandmother mistakenly buried in a plot we own filled me with unease because, I guess, I wanted these 4 plots to be just our family.  I'm sure this isn't the first time this has ever happened. 

The story doesn't end here. The director of this cemetery reminded me that we still had our burial plots, but I was looking in the wrong place. When bodies are buried, they are buried pointing east. Once I corrected my line of vision I saw that what I thought was an error wasn't. 

In this same cemetery, I'm told, is a high school girl from Legacy Christian Academy that is buried. As I tried to find her grave to pay respects, I passed by many other grave sites of young children. With each site are families and siblings painfully missing their loved ones. As a parent, you never really get over the death of a child.  Which is why I was inspired to create this website to help bereaved parents, siblings, aunts and uncles and grandparents. www.soaringonwingsofeagles.org

Tomorrow, I will pray and ask God to guide me on what I should do about the burial plot and then I will make the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment