Translate

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Life is sometimes filled with heart break, hardship and broken promises, but our Lord Jesus is there to pick up the pieces of your life and make you whole again.



I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14

Our family did a fun assignment. We each were asked to draw out our family tree. My son did what he knew. My wife and I did the same.  

As we placed each family member on the timeline, I discovered some truths: suffering is common. In my family tree of my dad, I found that his father became so incapacitated after the sudden death of his wife Cora that his two very young sons went to live with Cora's family in Crystal, Minnesota. 

Two young boys living with parents who were grieving the loss of their daughter while trying to muster the strength to raise Cora's two boys. On my wife's side of the family, her own mom grew up in a family that experienced the death of a child. 

Back in my dad's family, I experienced the pain associated with sudden death when my dad's brother died on the operating table.  To this day, I remember seeing dad with his head bowed at the kitchen table heaving sobs upon receiving the word of his brother's death in a telephone call. I remember all of us trying to comfort him. 

The only other time I remember dad crying like that was when I shared the news of his granddaughter, Maria. I will never forget the deep emotional pain coming from my dad.

In every family, there are moments of sorrow when the unexpected happens. When those moments occur, the best thing all of us can do is to trust God that he knows what to do with our pain by placing one foot in front of the other and keep pressing on. Oh, the tears may not end and you may likely have trigger moments when your loved one died, but Jesus promises us in his word that he will never abandon or forsake you.

To the family, we know in Green Bay, Houston, and England who experienced the suicide of their brother I can assure you that God understands your pain and he will be there every step of the way until your mourning is done.

I encourage everyone to draw out their family tree because of the truths you may learn.  

When my ancestors came over to America from Sweden their last name was 'Anderson'.  Upon their arrival at Ellis Island, it was learned that one of the relatives played the bugle and some even said the sound he made was as sweet as Gabriel. Our family name was changed to Gabrielson. In the land of Anderson's ( Minnesota), I am grateful that we became Gabrielson's.



No comments:

Post a Comment