Translate

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Say Their Name - The Compassionate Friends UK




As I watched this video, produced by bereaved parents in the United Kingdom, I was reminded once again how profoundly the loss of a child impacts people around the globe and simply, giving bereaved parents permission to 'say their deceased child's name' and talking about that child is the beginning of their healing.

This may seem like a simple thing to do, but my experience has been that many people do not, or will not go there with bereaved parents. My wife, for example, shared with me that there are friends  she cannot openly share her occasional triggers of bereavement, while a few she can. If most of us would learn to embrace the pain of loss, instead of running from that pain, we will experience healing at a much faster pace. If most of us would learn to talk with others about pain, or give trusted listeners the opportunity to listen to our pain, people will develop a much wider array of coping skills for life's future survival.

Finally, there are several things that helped me to heal from my pain: (1) writing and keeping up this blog, (2) Occasionally, talking with trusted listeners willing to go there with the muck and mire of my grief, (3) my decision to place one foot in front of the other and attending a faith community  on consistent basis, and (4) trusting Jesus that he knows what he is doing with my life's  journey.

If you are a mourning the loss of someone you loved, I encourage you to visit the website I created for the support you need for this journey. www.soaringonwingsofeagles.org

No comments:

Post a Comment