Translate

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

My wife shared with me a conversation with my sister when she just received the news that our cousin-in-law Dennis Erickson passed away.





In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?[a] 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. John 14:2-3

My wife received a phone call from my sister the other day.  Kristi just spoke with her cousin Joni who recently learned that her brother-in-law Dennis passed away. on October12,2015. 

There was something I didn't know until I read his obituary/ The very first sentence were the words, 'Preceded in death by his son Jamie.' 

The mere location of that sentence told me the profound significance of that loss. As a dad, I understand the pain that this father went through in this life because nothing in this life ever prepares you with this form of grief.

That explains his tenderness of heart when Linda and I lost our daughter unexpectedly,  I remember sensing his care and genuine warmth in my occasional phone calls with him. I remember the chance encounters at the Holiday gas station when I would converse with him.I learned something through that encounter. 

 The people God brings into your life following a loss of a loved one will be different from the people you typically hung out as friends.

Dennis had been married to my cousin, Nancy (Freberg) until their marriage ended. Dennis was perhaps the kindest person I have ever met. He was a gifted homebuilder who built a successful business building homes in the northern suburbs.  He truly enjoyed helping others, whether it was taking friends fishing or hunting, or helping them get into their first home.

Shortly after finishing graduate school, I got a call from Denny asking me if I was interested in buying a townhome. He had built some of the cutest little quad townhomes in the Circle Pines and Coon Rapids neighborhood. I grabbed the bait  after seeing some 'run down' starter homes and not being real handy, nor wanting to move into something that was akin to a money pit.  I remember meeting Denny after work one evening and following him to this new quad home development on Grouse circle and immediately falling in love with this area. Denny knew everyone in the housing industry from the first time home buyers program to the realtors.  It wasn't long after I moved into my first home that I received the tragic news. Dennis had invited most of his family up to the new cabin he built for a fun weekend of activities when a diving incident in the early evening hours into an unknown depth left him paralyzed from the neck down. 

I imagine that Dennis has been catching up on conversations with his son Jamie shorthly after his heavenly homecoming. I also imagine that Dennis's skills of home building being put to good use by our heavenly father just as the verse from John 14:2-3 reminds us.

Dennis, you are now free from your earthly limitations with a new heavenly body stronger than our earthly ones.  Until we meet again, I have a job to do which is to bring others into God's Kingdom. 

Dennis E. Erickson


Erickson, Dennis E. Age 68, of Plymouth passed away October 12, 2015. Preceded in death by son Jamie, parents Earl and Betty Ann Erickson, niece Tasha, and Nancy Erickson. Survived by daughters Lisa (Curt) Norwood, Mona (Kurt) Owen, Joelle (Jeff) Erickson; son Justin (Angie) Erickson, Kirsten Brunskill and Kari (Jeremy) Johnson and beloved friend Judy Brunskill; sisters Diane (Frank) Wagamon, Cheri (Mark) Fitzgerald, and Cyndi (Dave) Severson; grandchildren Darin, Alexander, Tristin, Taylor, Trinity, Zaidee, Finley, Jayden and Grayson; and many nieces and nephews. Denny enjoyed nature and going on hunting and fishing adventures. He was a hard worker and a well-known home builder. He was a wonderful father, brother, friend and papa, he will be dearly missed. Funeral service Friday 4pm at Abiding Savior Church, 8211 Red Oak Drive, Mounds View. Visitation 1 hour prior to service.

Published on October 17, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment