Translate

Monday, January 9, 2017

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all [a]comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.



Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all [a]comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.



As I sit at the computer staring at the headlines on the electronic media, headlines that were written to stir up my anxious thoughts-headlines like Dow drops 100 points, opposition party planning mass demonstrations on the eve of the inauguration-- I find my blood boiling just a tad bit. 


Then I was reminded of these words from the voice of the Lord, "Be Anxious for nothing". I quickly ran to my bookcase, found my bible, and looked up the verse with those very words- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God

My mind drifts off reflecting on those very words and I thought.'So Lord, rather than worry about things I ought to pray and give you the burden of my moment?' My mind dwelled on the thoughts of that verse before I was reminded of this one from Matthew: 

For only a penny you can buy two sparrows, yet not one sparrow falls to the ground without your Father's consent. 30 As for you, even the hairs of your head have all been counted. 31 So do not be afraid; you are worth much more than many sparrows!

I dwelled on those words planted in my mind by the Lord.  "So Lord, you're trying to tell me that just as you provided for those sparrows, you will provide for me and that I need not worry where my next meal will come from or my next source of income?" I felt the sudden presence of peace from almighty asGod reminded me of this verse from the Psalms,a passage written by David.

You created every part of me; you put me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because you are to be feared;
all you do is strange and wonderful.
I know it with all my heart.


I reflected some more, looking at the picture of Jesus hanging on the wall in my study as he momentarily stumbled with the rough-hewn cross on the way his own crucifixion.  " You oh God loved me so much that you knew me before I was born? You knew every bone in my body, every neuron, transmitter and you created me in your own image? 

I stared back at the momentary 'startling' headlines on MSN and reflected on the verses I just recalled.

'So Lord, instead of worrying about what I read or hear, I should pray back to you my worries, my anxieties, my anxious thoughts about what I read?

At that moment, I was reminded that God came to earth in the form of a baby, born an immaculate birth through a simple lineage, not Royalty, wealth, or prestige to learn how to walk in my shoes so he could show me the way through the rough-hewn patches of life.

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment