Translate

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

I had this dream where I was this 5-year-old in a large ship with my mom and dad going to a new world called America


9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead, he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9


 I had a dream. I dreamt that I was a little boy of approximately five traveling with my mom and dad on a big boat on it's way to America. My dad was holding me in his arms. My mom was holding onto my dad's hand. 

My family didn't have much money so we lived in the smaller rooms below the ships main deck. I didn't know at the time that there weren't enough lifeboats to provide for all of the fare paying passengers.

 It seemed like forever before they finally unlocked the gate to let all of us come out to the open air of the passenger ship.

My family was trying to get to America where daddy promised us that good things would happen to us. He was a machine operator by trade and he was told that the new world was looking for workers' with his skill. Everywhere I looked from the helm of my dad's shoulders I saw people who looked worried as though something wasn't  right about this ship.

 I looked into my mom's  sad eyes. She tried to muster a  half-hearted smile as if she were trying to reassure me that everything was going to be fine. .' As my dad held me tightly in his arms I could see people around me running and screaming trying, I think, to find some way off of this boat which seemed to be slanting into the water. 

 I remember when my dad came home from work and shared good news with my mom and me.

"Alonzo,," Daddy lifted me up into the air as mommy watched. " how would you like to ride on the biggest and the best boat ever?"  My mouth widened with excitement.  I could see mommy grabbing daddy with excitement and planting a kiss on his cheek as I heard daddy say, "Bella, we're going to the new world, we're going to America! on the maiden voyage of the Titanic.

I was still in my dad's arms standing in the open air watching fireworks above our heads.  I thought it was exciting to see all these colors lighting up the night sky, but one look at my mom and dad told me a different story. 

 My Dad said something about overhearing two  White Star employees say that the Titanic had taken on water after hitting an iceberg, but I didn't understand it because we were told the ship was unsinkable-surely  an iceberg couldn't sink it?' 

Daddy looked in all directions for any remote lifeboat we could get into, but when one of the employees told daddy that there were no lifeboats and that it was every man for himself it seemed that hope was lost. Dad tried to reassure me that everything would be Ok.

My mom and dad found a bench for all of us to sit on.

"Alonzo," Daddy paused. " do you remember that song you learned in Sunday school?"  Mom looked into daddy's reassuring eyes and then at mine. I stifled a hiccup before adding, " I do daddy, I do."  My daddy held me and my mom tight as if he wouldn't let go of us no matter what happened. 
"Alonzo" daddy said in the most reassuring way. " Let's all three of us sing that song." I could hear the sound of panic all around me as we sang.



"Jesus loves me! This I know, 
For the Bible tells me so;
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so"

Daddy stopped singing and looked into our eyes with his affectionate stare, "Alonzo and Bella, I love you both. Jesus is with us at this moment and he will stay with us. In a little while, we may be apart, but I assure you that we will all see a bright light with Jesus at the very center of it just as he promised and we will be together again."  All three of us continued to sing.

"Jesus loves me! He who died,
Heaven's gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.
As we sang at the top of our lungs there were a few people who stopped running around and sang with us. Somehow, my dad reminded them that Jesus was their hope in times of trouble.  We continue to sing to our Jesus.




Jesus loves me! loves me still,
When I'm very weak and ill;
From His shining throne on high,
Comes to watch me where I lie.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.


This time, more people gathered around us. Many, like us, had accepted their fate with the gentle assurance that Jesus loves them and promises to be with them no matter what happens to them.

Our once little group began to sound more like a small choir as we continued singing.


Jesus loves me! He will stay,
Close beside me all the way;
He's prepared a home for me,
And some day His face I'll see.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

 When we finished the song my eyes widened as II heard the roar of water rushing toward us. I closed my eyes and pinched my nose in anticipation of what was to come. The water was so strong that the grip I had on my dad loosen which caused me to swirled around in the cold water. I kept singing that song in my mind until my eyes became heavy and I could sing no more.

Not long after that I woke to the brightest light I have ever seen with Jesus who I just sang about reassuring me just as my earthly father had assured me that I was safe in heaven's doors. He hugged me so I could feel the warm glow of His love. 


The rumblings of an approaching freight train on tracks that are nearby pulled me from my slumber.  I turned to look at my bedside clock which revealed I had slept half the night. I decided I was thirsty. While drinking the glass of refreshingly good cold water, some thoughts came to me about my dream.

It seems that most of us in this life think we are able to control our lives with careful planning and doing the right things. Our control is only illusory because life is really uncertain and filled with things we cannot control.

 From the surgeries some of our children undergo to watching them take the family car to a high school event, we are at the mercy of unforeseen events that can bring an end to the lives of those we love.

I guess God wants all of us to know that no matter what happens to us in this life he has our back when tragedy occurs. He is there for your loved one when unforeseen situations occur and their life ends long before 'we' believe it should have ended, and he is there walking with us as long as it takes to get us to the recovery side of our grief.

Lastly, that simple song, 'Jesus loves me' was a song that gave me comfort as a child because it reminded me how much my Savior Jesus loves and cares for me and it reminds me that no matter what happens to me that because of what Jesus did on the cross that I can have the assurance of eternal salvation with a simple prayer because Jesus loves me.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment