Translate

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Grief is two parts sorrow with 1 part humor tossed in .....





Then our mouth was filled with laughter And our tongue with joyful shouting; Then they said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them."Psalm 128:2

Yesterday, I was reminded the importance humor plays in our grief.  Often, it seems, that anyone who suffers thinks that wearing sackcloth while sitting in coal dust and picking scabs off of our skin is what we're supposed to do in grief.  I learned, once again, the role humor plays in our gentle sufferings in this life.

It began with correspondence with a good friend of mine on facebook. I've known this man of character since he used to teach our Sunday school class at church. I was inspired by his knowledge in the word of God then, and I am inspired by what he is teaching me about suffering. 

Without naming names, I can say that life changed drastically with his chronic diagnosis.  Through his medical journey, I saw a man who continued to trust God.  Despite all of the medical appointments, all of the pain, he never lost his ability to laugh and share humor in words. 

Last night, my wife, son and I discovered why it was we love playing the game of Dutch Blitz.  No, dutch blitz isn't some discarded defensive play our Minnesota Vikings use to play. It's a fast moving card game that will leave you in bouts of laughter at game's conclusion. I discovered how good my son is at this game when he said that it is his floor's favorite.

Laughter is, I believe, is God's ointment to healing our heart after loss..

We have to give ourselves permission to find ways of tickling our funny bone (not a scientific word and you won't find it in WebMD). Laughter gets lost in the shuffle when overwhelming emotions enter our lives. For me, I rely on good friends who have the ability to tickle my funny bone ( not a scientific word). As we begin to recover from grief by seeing God's bigger picture with this suffering the corners of our mouth begin to turn upward while infectious laughter begins to percolate from below the surface until somebody comes along with an irresistible joke that leaves us in stitches (leaves us in stitches). 

This little tirade was one of those I posted on my friend's facebook page.

Dr. who will see you now. 
What?
 no Dr. Who . Who will see you now. 
What did you say? 
No no no Dr. Who, not what Dr. who.will see you now. What is the doctor who will do your ex-rays. Who? 
What, Dr. What
. So I see what? 
No no no, you're seeing Dr. Who.then what.
Where do I go? no its Dr. Who. Where is the physical therapist you see tomorrow.
 Oh. What's his name? 
Dr. Who. 
I thought I see Dr. What tomorrow? No Where...you see Dr. Where tomorrow and Who today.

Now your making me Crazy
No. Crazy is the guy who leads your support group. Dr. Crazy
When is that group.
After you see Dr. Where tomorrow.
So, Dr. Who will see me now.
Now you got it.

Hope you're funny bone is tickled.( not a scientific word) Have a happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment