Translate

Sunday, November 6, 2016

The good shepherd knows our needs, our pain and will show us the way through the valley of mourning

16 “No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light. Luke 8:16


My wife and I made a quick tri.p to Warren, Minnesota to help honor our Mother-in-law's 90th birthday.  She is the last remaining sibling of her family of several brothers and one sister. 

 Looking for something to read, I decided to pick up the local Warren Sheaf paper where I saw the headline regarding a local 24-year-old man killed in a fiery head-on fiery collision on County road 1. The article described him as a longtime employee of Dale's foods who recently learned that he would be a father.  

My mother-in-law wanted me to pick up some groceries at Dale's the next morning. I was happy to do this thinking it might give me an opportunity to offer my condolences to Dale's for the loss of this young man.

 It was when I pushed my shopping cart around the perimeter of this small town grocery store that I encountered two employees in a serious conversation that I could only guess was about their former  employee.  I stopped my shopping cart, listened and waiting for the right opportunity to share my condolences.  One employee said that he was well liked because of his ability to smile and the impact he had in their tiny community. Then I shared my story and the corresponding website that was created to help others understand grief through faith stories and testimonials.  That was the opener for one female employee to share the loss of her baby when she was just 38 weeks and how difficult it was to heal.  Because of my willingness to step out of my comfort zone and listen, this woman had a chance to share the baby she once had.  

As I reflect on my own faith, I am reminded that it is my faith in Jesus Christ that sustains me, nourishes me, and helps me not only survive, but thrive in an uncertain world we live in.  

 The stories that Jesus weaves into our lives are the stories of hope he wants us to give to those struggling with loss.  God simply isn't going to waste our pain by hiding it in the backroom of our minds, but like the minor and major prophets of old, he wants us to be his living examples of his love for people! 

Our faith is like the lampstand that we display prominently so others can find the hope we have for our lives.




No comments:

Post a Comment