Translate

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Fresh 6.7 magnitude earthquake strikes Nepal; tremors across north India





10 Then Jesus said to them, “Nations and kingdoms will fight against each other.11 There will be great earthquakes and wide-scale food shortages and epidemics. There will also be terrifying sights and great signs in the sky. Luke 21





We have neighbors who are originally from India. They are US citizens and America is now home to them; yet, they travel back occasionally to see their parents who continue to make India home. I thought of them tonight when I heard these quakes extended into northern India.

As I watched these BBC reports I discovered that the impact of these earthquakes went far beyond Nepal into Northern India. BBC is now reporting that 8 million people are effected by these quakes. One person interviewed by BBC said they didn't have the proper tools to dig out their loved ones. They were using small hand held tools ill equipped to do the job. Another report revealed that they were shifting from search and rescue to body recovery and were requesting more body bags be sent over to them.

Shock, pain, depression were all of the typical emotions I felt listening to the reports coming out of Nepal. I was once again reminded how we really do not have control over our destinies.

As I watched these BBC reports I ask my self one question: Why aren't we seeing these on our American televisions? Why are we so occupied by the 'hands up' people? Why are we so absorbed by the antics of reality television. Why are we so immune to the pain and destruction happening in Nepal and Northern India?

At the very end of one of these reports I heard one gentleman being interview that " we are asking God to help us".

We are so afraid in this country to offend any one person that we cannot even acknowledge God's name or tell someone 'I will pray for you.'

What type of foundation are you basing your life on? Is it on the sand of temporary things of worldly accomplishments or  is it based on the God's well tested word that has stood the test of time and changes millions of peoples lives forever?

As I watch the devastation I was reminded of the decision I made for Jesus Christ in the spring of 1974. The moment I uttered those words I was assured of my eternal destiny. Instead of building my life on sand it was build on the solid rock that no matter what happens to me Christ will be there with me every time the ground shakes, the Bears stampede and threaten my portfolio, and sorrow enters in when a loved one dies.

Let us remember the people in Nepal and Northern India in our prayers in the coming days for relief supplies, smart humanitarian aide, and for God to help them in their devastation.








No comments:

Post a Comment