Translate

Friday, May 1, 2015

This week we found a unlikely hero in our midst and she was a ................................mom



13 If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it;[a] but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing. 1 Corinthians 13


This week we found an unlikely hero in our midst. No, it wasn't any of the Avenger's characters; although that movie is opening tonight at a theater near you. No, it wasn't Rocky Balboa coming out of retirement to fight one more time.

This week it was the unconditional love for her son that drove this Baltimore mom out into the street to let her rock throwing son know that what he was doing was not acceptable. She had the courage  that ultimately prevented her son from being arrested. The person who interviewed her asked if there were other mom's out there who had that same she had.  Her response? 'Yes'
  In that one act of courage she deflated every stereotype out their about single African American woman raising kids.  In that one act of courage she may have sent shock waves across America that will force parents to realize that they have to stop neglecting their kids.  

 I can hear a mighty crescendo coming from homes everywhere of parents who previously have neglected their duties now willing to step up to the plate  so the court system do not have to do theirs.

What if parents everywhere came out to stand with the police force to assure a better tomorrow for their kids. Things like inviting an officer to their home for a meal with their family, or organizing a neighborhood event and inviting an officer to come and speak with them about safety, or in the case of one group of parents standing as a united front in front of the Baltimore riot police?

Through this one woman comes an opportunity to bring our kids home so they do not have to be subjected to peer pressure that ultimately get's them shot.

Fast forward 20 years I see this young man, humiliated years earlier, employed in a good job with a family and a now aged grandmother of her kids sitting with pride in her eyes at what her son had accomplished.  I learned one more thing from this mom.  Parenting isn't about winning popularity contests with your kids.  You are not there to be their best friend.  You are there to set the parameters of good behavior society expects for them.

If there were more mother's out there like the woman in this video there would be less of a need for prisons, probation officers and their would be more schools better able to do their jobs of preparing their son's and daughters for their life's vocation.

Yes, today we found a unlikely hero in our midst and she was a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment