Translate

Saturday, April 11, 2020

The Covid-19 may have prevented us from going to Church, but I do know that Jesus is alive!


15 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas,[b] and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians+15&version=NIV


Because of the Covid-19 Pandemic, churches were not having public worship services. It's been several weeks since we stepped inside the church for Sunday morning and it continues to be surreal for us who always made church attendance a priority in our marriage.  We have memories when our kids were little strapping both of them in their car seats for our ride to New Hope Church while listening to KTIS radio.   I remember our kids wanting to listen to Adventures in Odessey on that same radio station.

This year, in particular, has been surreal with talk about the expanding pandemic that started in a city in a city far away and spreading like wild fire to the United States.  Fear seemed to be the overwhelming emotion for many people.  As the days wear on many are struggling with anxiety and depression with many fearful to even go outdoors for a healthy walk.

At first, I didn't want to believe that this was as bad as they said was and in some ways I wanted life to be without suffering.  I wanted my Twins, Wild, Timberwolves games. I wanted the theaters to be open so I could plan date nights with my loved one.  I wanted life to be normal and freedom to go into the workplace where I could interact with people.  I didn't want the isolation  and the shelter-at-home that was suddenly  thrust upon me. But, after a good night of sleep I began to see the logic behind the shelter-at- home order made by many of our state's governors.  I knew that if I wanted to celebrate future birthdays I need to keep myself safe in my home.

As I reflected on this intense loneliness I was feeling, my mind reflected to the Friday before Easter when Jesus Christ felt most alone as insults and weapons of torture tore into his flesh. I knew that Jesus Christ came to this earth to experience life as a lowly human being so that he could show us the way when so many people were striving to heaven through good works alone. I knew that Jesus Christ took the punishing blows that were destine for me, but He did so because just as John 3:16 says, '

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
 I remembered the final breath Jesus took on that cross, the cross where his outstretched and bleeding hands with rough nails through his palms and feet.  I thought to myself that the outright pain he suffered was meant for a sinner like me.

Maybe, the absence of professional and varsity sports was meant to make me realize what was truly important in my life- God and my family.  I 'm not saying that God used the Covid-19 virus to get our attention, but what was intended as evil by the dark powers on this world, God uses it for good just as Genesis 50:20 reminds us.

 I believe we will get through this time of isolation and when we do, we will come out stronger, more vigilant, and perhaps for some, having a stronger personal relationship with their Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ.  For others, they too can have that personal relationship simply by admitting that they are a sinner and placing their faith in the resurrection of Jesus Christ by opening the door to their heart and letting Jesus Christ come in.

I cannot wait to join my Christian brothers and sisters at our brick and mortar church, but until the all clear is given I will continue to watch the live stream services at New Hope Church, mn.https://newhopechurchmn.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment