Translate

Sunday, September 1, 2019

For better, or for worse. Learning the art of wound care is a way of supporting one's spouse much like Jesus washing the disciples feet.







12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.John 13




As I reflect back to our wedding day I remembered how perfect we all looked standing at the alter watching Pastor Dave perform our ceremony. The bridesmaids were beautiful. The groomsman looked stately in their black tuxes, but the bride who would soon be given away by her dad was more beautiful in her flowing white wedding gown as her beauty sent shivers to this groom as she approached her way toward the Alter to the sounds of the wedding march. 

I remember how perfect we all looked and if I could freeze time, I would.

For better or for worse. We did the right thing by dedicating our marriage before God and deciding to plant our feet through our commitment to a local church. After all, we knew we needed accountability from God and through our acts of service to each other and those around us. We knew from reading the holy scriptures from Genesis to Revelations that there would be many trials that make their way into our lives. That, the perfection of that wedding day wouldn't necessarily continue.

For Sickness and in health. As we recited those marriage vows, we made a commitment toward God that we would be there for each other- whether it was cleaning up after each other when the other was too weak to clean up after themselves, or cleaning the surgical wounds left from the surgery.

Jesus gave us a word picture when he removed their sandals and lovingly removed the dirt from the souls of their feet- to remind them that they must do this to each other as a sign of humbling love toward each other- a message to the world that they are loved by the creator, Savior, and Lord of this world. A message that people around the world yearn to hear and yearn to receive.

2 Corinthians 4:16 reminds us that "Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day." I think of those words each time I cleanse my wife's surgical wound and the vow I made to her on our wedding day, June 18h, 1988.


Life will never be what it was yesterday, or the day before, or even the way they were years ago. Yet, as we progress along life's pathway, our Lord builds us up through the people he brings across our path.

Someone once asked me I wished to be young again and my response was when I was in my 20's I could do anything with my strength, but now that I'm older, God gives me the understanding, the wisdom, and the platform to share Christ to a starving generation- 'For Better or for worse, in Sickness and in health.


No comments:

Post a Comment