Translate

Sunday, September 29, 2019

This day started off with blood draws, breakfast at Daily Dose, wig shopping, lunch out at Good EArth, to having a conversation with a friend about PTSD while waiting for my wife's car being serviced. God reminded me once the importance of sharing our faith stories with those around us.






For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11



Today, I saw many signs that God was making all things new again on our journey with cancer. The day began with driving her to the U of Mn Maple Grove clinic for a blood draw before going over to the Daily Dose for a breakfast muffin and a cup of coffee. The two of us had a wonderful conversation about life, our son, a brief remembrance of our daughter, and the upcoming surgery. Originally, this surgery was to take place on December 23rd, but now they found an earlier calendar date that works better. When she explained to the scheduling nurse about wanting an earlier date, the nurse originally said everything was booked until she re-opened the calendar and noticed this one singular earlier date. She called her back and with astonishment said, "I'm not sure how this happened but there is an earlier date."  My wife said to her, " maybe it is because I was praying?"

Through the years I've seen marriages fall apart when significant health issues surface with one or the other person Instead of committing to marriage counseling one or the other, or both, seek the services of a lawyer for the 'quick and easy divorce.'  Instead of bailing on their spouse and staying the course they would have seen God intervenes in ways they never thought possible.

I noticed my wife's hair was really coming back.  She mentioned to me she would like to get a 'transition' wig to wear in the meantime. So our day consisted of 'wig' shopping.  Our trek took us first to a store in Brooklyn Park before finally finding one at a store not far from the Rosedale Mall. After about an hour of trying on a variety of wigs, she found one that bought out her personality and her Pizzazz.  We were now hungry and decided to eat at the Good Earth nearby. It was there we had more conversations with each other.

On our drive home, I mentioned I would like to take her car in for an oil change. I dropped her off and made it to Main motors before the service department closed at 3:00.  As I walked over to the waiting room, I saw two people who recognize me right away and greeted me. Like a V8 moment, I realize that the gentleman was a City of Coon Rapids first responder who was on duty the night Maria died.  He remembers hearing the 9-1-1 call that night and had it not been that his shift was ending he would have been the one responding to that call. Jason and his wife had young children who attended Meadow Creek Christian school, the school our kids attended.

I shared with him the amazing things God has been doing in our lives from my son's marriage and having a new daughter-in-law to facilitating a grief share ministry and walking alongside others experiencing loss to my wife's cancer journey and the recent pronouncement of her cancer-free status.

I asked him how he was doing to which he said that his doctor said he could not return to his job because of PTSD.  As we talked about his journey I discovered from him the huge numbers of law enforcement, EMT's and firefighters who struggle with this diagnosis.  As he was sharing he said to me that "the people in my profession see things every day that no one ought to see."   I reminded him the night the City of Coon Rapids emergency response team came out to our house that I was struck how when the three of us were 'frozen' and in shock they were trained to take command of the situation. 

I reflected on a seminar I once heard on line about a hospital that began having 'grief rounds' to help their doctors process the trauma of seeing one of their patients die with the outcome being a 'healed' doctor who was now ready to tackle what lies ahead.

God honors us when we decide to keep our marriage vows in more ways we can count. Who would have thought that being in that Main Motors waiting area, God would allow me to encourage a former officer struggling with PTSD?  It also reminded me how important it is for us as believers to share our 'faith' stories with those around us- you simply do not know how God is going to use those stories for good in those we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment