Translate

Thursday, July 12, 2018

How Great Is Our God (World Edition) [feat. Chris Tomlin]



May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice. Psalm 141:2


Oh, what a week this has been! As a Christian when I heard that the last of the soccer players made it out of the cave I just wanted to shout to the Lord in a mighty crescendo of praise. Like most, I was concerned over the what if's of this event. What if the gusher of water poured from the skies and drowned the soccer players? What if the cave themselves collapse, making their rescue nearly impossible? What if they hadn't stayed hydrated and were too weak to leave the cave? 

The only human response to this event was to pray and that we did.  From corner to corner on this planet we lifted our hands heavenward and prayed for a miracle- that all 12 boys and heir soccer coach would make it out alive and back home with their families.

Then we waited.

I learned that this event became a international rescue effort from the medical doctor in Austria with cave exploration skills to the highly trained Thailand Navy Seals to the many volunteers who helped from providing dry socks to providing coffee and other refreshments.

Then we prayed some more even in the face of monsoon rain predicted to hit the area the caves were in.

We learned of the elaborate system to pipe water out of the flooded caves so the rescuers had a chance to get inside to bring them out. A Christian friend remembered hearing that the rain 'just' stopped on the day of the first rescue.

I believe in miracles. I also believe that this was God who showed up when he heard the cascading prayers lifting to heaven.

I discovered that it is better to pray than to worry or fret over the 'what if's'.  It is better to pray than to try to control the outcome through needless worrying.

When I woke up in the early morning and discovered that the 3rd and final rescue effort had begun, I shouted praises to the mighty king. I prayed, along with others around the globe, for a successful rescue attempt.

When I heard those boys made out of the cave with the help of those Navy Seals and under the watchful eye of our Lord, I knew that God reigned in this event.

We do have a mighty God who loves us more than we could ever know!  He is a mighty and living King who is always in the miracle business One of the Thai rescuers when he came out asked if this was a miracle, or science that made this all possible.

To that response, I can tell you that God created the world we live in and He alone provided the means for this successful international  effort to occur.

When God's people pray, great things do happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment