Translate

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?






Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10


I do not think Frank Capra knew at the time he directed this movie what a timeless piece it would become. This creative piece would become a love story to men, woman, and children reminding them how significative they are in the overall scheme of things. 

When this movie was released in 1947, our nation was in the throes of World war two and beginning to bounce back from the great depression. Men and woman were losing hope, quicker than a jackrabbit could hop, when the timely release of this movie served to remind them that God loves them no matter what happens in this life to scar them.

'It's a wonderful life' was our families favorite Christmas tradition. Every year we would sit in our downstairs family room watching this classic while eating a Pa Pa Murphy's pizza- mom and dad on the outside with our two kids in the middle.We loved this movie because it lifted our spirits and taught us the unique importance of our lives to others around us. 

Like two snowflakes, no two people are the same.

So in honor the release of this movie 71 years ago I decided to write about it in my blog.

Like George Bailey, each of us from time to time feels like we're failures. The film opens up with many of George's friends praying for him.

 George had just left Mr. Potters bank as Mr. Potter began calling the police to report his building and loan's embezzling. George, in a state of panic, drove his car toward the river hitting a tree in the process. It was Christmas, a time when most should be filled with joy.

 Meanwhile, his friends prayed.

Mr. Emil Gower: I owe everything to George Bailey. Help him, dear Father.
Giuseppe Martini: Joseph, Jesus and Mary. Help my friend, Mr. Bailey.
Ma Bailey: Help my son, George, tonight.
Bert: He never thinks about himself, God, that's why he's in trouble.
Ernie Bishop: George is a good guy. Give him a break, God.
Mary: I love him, dear Lord. Watch over him tonight.
Janie Bailey: Please, God, something's the matter with Daddy.
Zuzu Bailey: Please bring Daddy back.

God heard their prayers and decided to send Clarence to earth to become George's guardian angel on the account that he hadn't yet earned his wings.


Senior Angel: A man down on Earth needs our help.

Clarence: Splendid. Is he sick?

Senior Angel: No, worse. He's discouraged.


Clarence arrives just in time to save George from taking his life by jumping in the river after him.  The next scene is in the drawbridge building where Clarence and George are drying their wet clothes Clarence is trying to figure out a way of helping George when George uttered, " I wished I had never been born"  Like that Clarence grants him his wish.

George Bailey: Look, who are you? Who are you really?
Clarence: I told you, George. I'm your guardian angel.
George Bailey: Yeah, well what else are you? Are you a hypnotist?
Clarence: No, of course not.
George Bailey: Then why am I seeing all these strange things?
Clarence: Don't you understand, George? It's because you were never born.
George Bailey: Well, if I was never born... who am I?
Clarence: You're nobody. You have no identity.
George Bailey: What do you mean no identity? My name is George Bailey!
Clarence: There is no George Bailey.
[George searches his pockets for identification, finds none]
Clarence: You have no papers, no cards, no driver's license, no 4F card, no insurance policy.
[George finally searches his watch pocket for the rose petals from Zuzu]
Clarence: They're not there either.
George Bailey: What?
Clarence: Zuzu's petals... You've been given a great gift, George: A chance to see what the world would be like without you.
 

George discovers he could hear out of both ears, something he couldn't do since he was a kid when he caught a nasty cold after saving his kid brother Harry from drowning.

The first thing George sees is the tree his car supposedly ran into.  The burly homeowner came out and sniffed George trying to figure out if he was drunk. George asked about Bailey Park of which the man said this is Pottersville, don't you think I know where I live?
George runs to where Martini's place is and encounters Nick's, not Martini's the place he remembered.

Clarence and George are trying to decide what to order. Clarence orders a 'Shirley Temple'.


Nick: [slamming a bottle on the bar] That's it! Out you, two pixies go... through the door, or out the window!
George Bailey: Hold on, Nick! What's wrong?
Nick: That's another thing. Where do you come off calling me Nick?
George Bailey: Well... Nick, that's your name. Isn't it?
Nick: What does that have to do with anything? I don't know you from Adam's off Ox.


George has discovered his brother Harry's tombstone]

Clarence: [explaining] Your brother, Harry Bailey, broke through the ice and was drowned at the age of nine.
George Bailey: That's a lie! Harry Bailey went to war! He got the Congressional Medal of Honor! He saved the lives of every man on that transport!
Clarence: Every man on that transport died. Harry wasn't there to save them, because you weren't there to save Harry.



Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?
You see George, you've really had a wonderful life. Don't you see what a mistake it would be to just throw it away?
Clarence: You've been given a great gift, George: A chance to see what the world would be like without you.

George wants to know what happened to his wife.

George Bailey: Clarence?
Clarence: Yes, George?
George Bailey: Where's Mary? If this is all real and I was never born, what became of Mary?
Clarence: [hesitates] Well... I don't... I can't...
George Bailey: [grabs Clarence by his collar] Look, I don't know how you know these things, but if you know where my wife is, you'll tell me.
Clarence: I... I'm not supposed to tell.
George Bailey: Please, Clarence, where's my wife? Tell me where my wife is.
Clarence: You're not going to like it, George.
George Bailey: Where is she? What happened to her?
Clarence: She became an old maid. She never married...
George Bailey: [desperate] Where is she? WHERE IS SHE?
Clarence: She's... she's just about to close up the library!
[George throws Clarence to the ground and runs off]

Clarence: [more frustrated] Ohh... there must be some easier way for me to get my wings.

George arrives at the library right at closing time and saw Mary who was frightened by this stranger making references to her being his wife. She faints drawing others from the town to her rescue.  George breaks away from the group and runs toward the river as gunshots followed him. 

[George returns to the bridge where his nightmare began, hoping to bring back his old life]

George Bailey: [praying] Clarence! Clarence! Help me, Clarence! Get me back! Get me back, I don't care what happens to me! Get me back to my wife and kids! Help me, Clarence, please! Please! I wanna live again. I wanna live again. Please, God, let me live again.

[it begins to snow again]

Bert: [shouts] Hey, George! George! You all right? Hey, what's the matter?
George Bailey: Now get outta here, Bert, or I'll hit you again! Get outta here!
Bert: What the sam hill you yellin' for, George?
George Bailey: You...


[suddenly stunned]


George Bailey: George... Bert? Do you know me?
Bert: Know you? Huh. You kiddin'? I've been looking all over town trying to find you. I saw your car plowed into that tree down there and I thought maybe you - hey, your mouth's bleeding. Are you sure you're all right?
George Bailey: What the...
[licks the corner of his lip and checks his mouth with his hand]
George Bailey: Ha, ha, ha, ha! My mouth's bleeding, Bert! My mouth's bleeding! Zuzu's petals... Zuzu...
George Bailey: [checking his pocket] There they are! Bert, what do you know about that! Merry Christmas!

 George returns to his home to the hugs and kisses from his family as the room began filling up with townspeople wanting to help. The financial investigator was there to finish his audit so he could go home to his family.



In the final scene, the friends he had helped through the years of running the Bailey building and loan all showed up to give money to pay the debt caused when Mr. Potter embezzled the day's deposits Uncle Billy brought from the Building and loan.

The scene becomes a festive occasion when they could see that Goerge Bailey is back with his family and to them where he belongs.  A few moments later, Harry Bailey enters the room to the delight of his brother George.

Little Harry Bailey: "To my big brother George, the richest man in town!"  The accountant begins counting the cash being brought in by the people while singing Christmas carols with the others. Harry Bailey was referencing the friends George has in his life.

Zuzu Bailey: Look, Daddy. Teacher says, every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings.' 

The message behind this movie, I believe, is the power of prayer in our lives. God wants you to have a conversation with him, to tell Him your struggles, your concerns, what you should do, the choices to make, and when life get's dark to help guide you through that rough patch.


 The reality is that God loved you so much that He sent his son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for you. So, no matter what happens to you in this life, God promises to be there for you.  Experience God for yourself by pulling out the timeless treasure called the Bible and begin reading God's love story to you.












No comments:

Post a Comment