Translate

Friday, July 22, 2016

Dear younger me, the story behind the song


11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare[a] and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

I entered the room now filled with the morning sunlight filtering in through my den window. I sat down in my tall den chair.  As I listened to the story behind this song, I began to reflect on what I too might tell my younger self. If only my younger self could know the things his older self-knows, then things would be all right. I bowed my head in prayer and then wrote as though the words flowed naturally on the surface of the screen.

Dear younger me,

If I my older self can encourage you, it would be this way. If I had a do-over in this life I would laugh more, try new things even if I failed, and taken the risk of getting to know people, on a deeper level, until, they became my friends.

 I would not be afraid to express my feelings of sadness and I would tell more people when those feelings hit me; for I know now that  hiding my feelings hurts me more and robs people the joy of getting to know the real me/because deep friendships flow out of my inner pain and suffering.

I would believe in myself more, try new things knowing full well that God has got my back and wants the best for me. I would trust God more, doubting him less as the seasons of emotions surround me. When death happens, I would allow myself to grieve, telling myself that things will get better with time.

 I would play harder, enjoy life fuller and experience nature. I would enjoy seeing new places, not alone, but with friend's because I know now that friends are like the pretty colors we add to a plain canvass; the canvass of me.

I would journal more my reflections, my inner turmoil and I would read more of the Gospels for it is in those gospels that my Jesus is  explaining  to me how to do life. Life, my older me has discovered, is something that we all have to learn how to do on our own.

My experiences are what shapes me into the person I am today and I shouldn't be ashamed of those experiences thinking that I am some sort of freak of nature nobody wants to risk getting to know. Younger me, you are a very good person. Your life is in good hands because Jesus has hold of you despite the pain of hurt words and bullying. Those experiences will shape you to become the older me you will become.

So embrace your pain and trust me when I say that God has very good things in store for you in this life.  Also, trust me when I say that God has a plan for you in this life, and He isn't done with you

So, enjoy this gift of life for you were created by God who simply doesn't make mistakes!

Sincerely,

Older Me

When I finished typing I turned off the laptop, turned off the light and closed the door to my den, reflecting on all the many blessings through the years of my life. I momentarily reflected on the prayer of salvation I made as a youth at Minnetonka Community Church and thought quietly how God has never dissappointed me in this life.







No comments:

Post a Comment