Translate

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Our children become extensions of ourselves right down to the voice inflection. Some reflections from Harry Chapin's song 'You knowwe'll have a good time then.'




Train up a child in the way he should go;
    even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6




My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say, "I'm gonna be like you, dad
You know I'm gonna be like you"

This song was perhaps my dad's favorite. I suppose he saw himself like most men in the role of watching time slip away with the worries of everyday life slipping in. The burdens of work will do that to people, not just men, but women as well. From the time our kids were little, we are encouraging their independence. As we introduce them to same-age classmates, we are saying goodbye to them, and it doesn't get any easier with time.

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then"

 It is important not to beat ourselves up over the should's of this life. You know, I should have introduced my child to that hobby, or this hobby, Each parental style is as unique to the child that is raised. Some families do a lot of outdoor things like camping, hiking, while others take play indoor games, have pizza and movie nights,  A family with a special needs child will experience life a little different from a family with physically active children. 

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today,
I got a lot to do." He said, "That's ok"
And he walked away, but his smile never dimmed
Said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him"

It doesn't take much to please a child. A child doesn't need elaborate planning on the part of the parents to make them happy. Sometimes, simply talking to them or going out to their favorite restaurant is all that is needed to make them feel special.  Our families weekly ritual was going to church  and then  going out to eat afterward where we had a time of fun conversation and laughter.

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then"

Well, he came from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you. Can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head, and he said with a smile
"What I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later. Can I have them please?"

As kids get older, they take on more responsibility and time becomes even more fleeting. . The important thing as parents is to avoid missing those opportunities. It doesn't take much to please a child no matter what the age. All they really want is to hear words of affirmation from their mom and dad, and a blessing. The words I often heard growing up were the words from a book that they read to me, 'The little Engine that could'.  I remember my  mom and dad's  voices echoing in my head, ' I think I can, I think I can, I think I can', as though it were just yesterday. Simple words of affirmation are precious and more valuable than gold to a child.

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then"

I've long since retired and my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, dad if I could find the time
You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kid's got the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad
It's been sure nice talking to you"

We're staying with my wife's mom in a tiny town in Northwestern Minnesota, a town where everyone who has kids has had to learn to  say goodbye because small towns simply do have the opportunities once they graduate.  Each time her family came home,I remember her tender heart as she said goodbye to them  at the conclusion of their time together in the midst of tears and wet eyes.

 Saying goodbye is never easy, regardless of the age.

And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

Our children become like us, right down to our voice inflection! They become the extensions of ourselves. I discovered that one day as I watch my son ask the retail clerk how her day was going.  If we do our jobs right, they will exhibit the godly qualities that the suffering world needs.
 /
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when
But we'll get together then

You know we'll have a good time then"
Songwriters: HARRY F. CHAPIN, SANDY CHAPIN
© Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.
For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind

No comments:

Post a Comment