Translate

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Accountability isn't just for the weak minded, my story




Colossians 2:7English Standard Version (ESV)
7 rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.

In only a few  hours I will be getting up at the crack of dawn to join with several other Christian men for a time of accountability, prayer, and bible verse memorization. This has always been the purpose for my life.

When I accepted Jesus Christ into my heart in the spring of 1974, the seed had been planted in the fertile soil of my soul. The seed took root and in time God's purpose for my life became more evident: it was a life of accountability. 

While others around me fell to the lusts of the world, God had total control over me. When I was feeling worldly pressure to conform to the sin's of the world, God lead me to Pastor Lester who introduced me to a stronger Christian man who agreed to meet with me for a time of prayer, and sharing wisdom from the word of God he learned through the years. I discovered that I did not have to yield to those worldly temptations, but I could set my mind on the higher calling in my life.

It is never easy to choose this higher calling; not when worldly friends try to convince you to  lighten up and enjoy the lusts of this world.  But, I knew that while choosing a life of accountability may not always be the most popular thing, it was the right path.  

My decision to meet with Pastor Lester and then this nearly retired Christian man lead me to a Navigator 2:7 men's discipleship bible study where I would soon learn that 'iron really does sharpen iron'. I learned many lessons from my accountability with these men; I am not alone in this world and God truly loves me. These godly men becamse my life long friends who were there when I married my wife and experienced the joys of my becoming a father. They were also there when losses in life occurred.

Even in my greatest tragedy of my life, God was there for me, While. I continued to trudge along wounded, God kept me in accountability relationships with other Christian men  so my ideas of self could be examined in the light of what God says in the word of God. 

The seed that had been planted in 1074 was growing into a mighty tree, filled with everything spiritually good for me.

It isn't easy to live in this world. Worldly temptations will come. You will be subjected to life's sufferings. The recent tragedies in France and England, and the daily killings  by ISIS   assure us of that, but through it all God has given each person the gift of the holy spirit to guide you on this painful journey.

As I look back over my career, I can see now that as God kept his watch over me, I could see others who might have chosen the worldly path fall by the wayside, wounded and slaughtered all along life's path.

 Famous celebrities who thought they had accomplished the American dream who woke up only to find they were on the wrong ship.

No matter where you are are on this journey we call life you can make sure you're on the right path. Jesus Christ is standing at the door of every humanity's heart and he is knocking. Can you hear him? Jesus knocks again. I encourage you to open that door and invite him into your life with this simple prayer:

Dear Jesus,
Through the years I have lived life selfishly and I have fallen for the worldly pleasures of this world. I know now that you Jesus came to die on the cross for my sin's You died to give us the free gift of eternal life and the peace that no matter what happens in my life you will always be there for me. I open the door of my heart and invite you in to be my guide and walk with me on my journey. I want a life of accountability, to keep me on the correct life's path, a life of growing in God's love and spiritual truth.  Thank you, Jesus, for your free gift of salvation!  I claim the promise from 1 John 5:13 
1 John 5:13 - These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

As I look back on my life, I have no regret for the decision I made in the spring of 1974. Jesus began to guide me on this path called life, no matter what tragic endings have occurred. This was and continues to be the most exciting journey of my life. Won't you consider giving God a chance?


1 comment:

  1. Hello Bro.Todd. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. Your post on Accountabality is so powerful and spirit led. The prayer of confession is humbling and seeking Gods favor and forgiveness. I am truly blessed by your post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be enocuraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email idis: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.
    God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete