Translate

Saturday, March 14, 2015

One night my son and I had a thought provoking discussion of the true meaning of our life's work



The meaning behind our life's work

30 Jesus replied, “A man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho. He encountered thieves, who stripped him naked, beat him up, and left him near death. 31 Now it just so happened that a priest was also going down the same road. When he saw the injured man, he crossed over to the other side of the road and went on his way. 32 Likewise, a Levite came by that spot, saw the injured man, and crossed over to the other side of the road and went on his way. 33 A Samaritan, who was on a journey, came to where the man was. But when he saw him, he was moved with compassion. 34 The Samaritan went to him and bandaged his wounds, tending them with oil and wine. Then he placed the wounded man on his own donkey, took him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 The next day, he took two full days’ worth of wages and gave them to the innkeeper. He said, ‘Take care of him, and when I return, I will pay you back for any additional costs.’ 36 What do you think? Which one of these three was a neighbor to the man who encountered thieves?”
37 Then the legal expert said, “The one who demonstrated mercy toward him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”  Luke 10:25-37

My son and I had a very thought provoking discussion on the meaning behind our life's work. I saw a heart of compassion in him for other people that I wouldn't normally see in a young person,unless, that person also went through significant grief. 

The events of June 10th, 2007 had left a indelible mark in each of us when the emergency personnel had to call the time of death because they were unable to find a pulse in our son's sister, our daughter. Although the memory of that night is distant it is still there and serve as a constant reminder we are all  mortal beings unable to get out of this life alive. 

Our life's work is simply more than just making money, more than climbing the ladder of success, and certainly more than earning all sorts of academic degrees. The work we choose for ourselves has to be about the impact we can have in another person's life..

As I reflect on my own career I would have to say that 'empowering' people is my greatest gift.  I remember very early on in my career with the state having lunch with a friend who was employed in a similar position as me and I made the statement "I wished I wasn't so sensitive and more driven like those around me."  The response I got back from this friend who knew me surprised me. What he said was not what I thought I would hear, but these words: "the world needs more people like you who are sensitive and caring and don't try to change who you are.  As I thought about those words and was able to fast forward the tape of my life I realize that he was right. There are so many hurting and wounded people in this world that are in a philosophical sense laying on the side of the road waiting for some one passing by to lend a helping hand. Most will not because of a lame excuse of having to be somewhere, but occasionally, someone sensitive to see the need does stop to lend a helping hand.

The beauty about being a devoted follower of Jesus Christ is how Christ changes us from the inside out.It is as though radical 'heart' surgery had been performed changing us from the hurried person running pass a wounded person to a person with a new heart of compassion willing to take the risk to help someone.

No matter what career direction a person pursues in life we are all called to be that helping hand. Whether it is a group of men and woman traveling to Guatemala on a missions trip to help orphan girl's, or participating in community service we are all called to serve. I know when I finish a counseling session where I truly was able to be a positive influence in someone's life I feel invigorated.  When that happens I could almost hear the angelic choir in heaven singing praises into my ear.

Our life's work is more than making a lot of money, and more than climbing the ladder of success. Through my dad I would hear stories of a certain co-worker climbing his way to the top, stepping on human heads and when that same person was demoted he would have to  look eyeball to eyeball at the person he previously stepped over to get to the top. I learned through my dad that stepping over people to get to the top isn't always the right thing to do and can lead to a very lonely existence in the end.

In this life there will people who will experience some of the greatest tragedies in life. The question I have is this. Will we be the one who quickly passes by without so much as diverting a glance, or will you be the one with the heart of compassion to stop and lend a helping hand? Will we be the one willing to climb into the pit of despair and help them recover from their life's tragedy, or will you be the one who offers a quick word of condolence before rushing off to perform life's duties?

No comments:

Post a Comment