Translate

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Lessons I learned from this week's NHC Equipt conference


But if you refuse to serve the LORD, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15



Yesterday was my birthday. Not sure why I felt so down and I guess for me birthdays are a time of reflection on the my relationship with God, my wife and my son. Perhaps, birthdays for me is a reminder that I am one step closer to meeting my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Perhaps, like the mile markers on the highway, birthdays are a reflection of all the things I have accomplished in this life.

Yesterday evening I attended the Men's Equipt conference at New Hope Church. This was a small conference designed to bring men together for encouragement and support to so they can be better leaders at home. I went because my wife and son are counting on me for set the example of godly leadership. I went because I needed spiritual nourishment to refresh my soul.

Reflecting back on my life I remember all of the earlier men's conferences I attended from the Football fill stadiums full of 'Promisekeeper's to men's retreats at Camp Forest Springs. Each one I walked away with just a little bit more to inspire my walk with Jesus. This conference was much smaller and after hearing that they wanted to try to reach out to more men who couldn't afford the earlier expensive conferences I thought it made sense offer a conference close by at a price that all could afford.

Last night this small group of guys heard former Minnesota Viking Jeff Siemon talk about the glory days of Viking football and his personal testimony of coming to Christ. He reminded us who came that life is filled with tribulations and just as John 16:33 reminds us, "I have overcome the world".

Thou your life may be filled with sorrow and though it seems that the lasting effects of sorrow will always fill our hearts our speaker reminded us that Jesus will help us through those troubles.

As men, we owe it to our families to set our sights on Jesus Christ and pick up his cross daily. As men, our families are counting on us to lead even when hard times and sorrow make us the unlikely candidates to lead.

As I reflect back on my life would I trade everything not to have the tragedy in my life? Absolutely not! Through it all Jesus Christ was there every step of of my grief journey. I consider it all joy just knowing that He was the shepherd that lead our family the night we suffered our tragic loss.

Looking back, I am amazed of the many blessings God has given each of my family members. My wife found a librarian job she truly loves at a great Christian school like the one she was previously at. Jesus Christ helped make all things new again for each member of my family.

At this conference I am reminded through speakers, like Jeff Siemon and Geoff Stafford, that God can use any life story to bring others into God's Kingdom.

Why did I go? I guess it is because my family is counting on me to be spiritually equipped to lead them in this life.




No comments:

Post a Comment