Translate

Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Cornerstone of faith


19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. Ephesians 2: 19-22

I love architecture and at one point in my life my goal was to study architectural drafting in college. I love drawing and often would draw elaborate city scapes when I should have been studying.  I would draw the buildings of my imaginary city in three dimensional and as one piece of paper filled up I would attached another one and continue my city by drawing parks, homes, shopping center, freeways, lakes and more buildings.  I would continue this until I had12 sheets of paper all scotched tape together. I often told myself that had God not called me in the direction I am in I would have been very happy being a city planner.

I love architecture for it's amazing beauty.  Each building has it's own cornerstone and on that cornerstone is the date when it was completed. God reminds us through his word that we also have a cornerstone; a reminder that God is there for each of us who choose to make it their cornerstone. On my life's cornerstone the year 1974 was etched prominently on it as a reminder that it was the year I chose to follow Christ.

Sometimes while we are going through difficult and painful times the only thing we can do is look back at our life to the day we made Christ our cornerstone.  By looking back to our cornerstone we are reminded that Christ is walking with us through the storms of this life and that he would never leave us. A verse from Romans 8:38-39 reminds us, 'For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.'


No comments:

Post a Comment