Translate

Friday, January 31, 2014

A simper prayer, a humble heart and a openness to God is all you need to have assurance.




Dear Jesus, I know I'am a sinner and that you died for my sin's. I know that nothing I can do in this life can earn me a place in heaven because you died in my place. I open the door to my heart and invite you in to be with me all the days of my life. I know that no matter what happens with my life I have the assurance of salvation because of what you did on the cross for me. Thank you Jesus for the free gift of salvation.

Some of us remember saying a similar prayer when we were just mere kids while laying in bed with our little hands folded responding to mom or dad's question 'if we wanted to accept Jesus into our hearts'. Still some have responded to this prayer in a Sunday school class, while playing with a friend who was a Christian, or when difficult times happen. Some may have had a 'George Bailey experience where out of the our desperate pleas for help we ask Jesus to save us from the mess we made. 

Alone and bewildered we cry out to God. With tears streaming down our faces we throw up our hands and commit our lives to God by acknowledging that there is nothing we can do to save ourselves. God responds best to us when he has our undivided attention.  No voices whispering to us  there is no God, or haven't you read Stephen Hawkin's scientific arguments why it is foolish to follow God? 

Away from the maddening crowd God does his greatest work. Away from the madness God has your complete attention. Just you and God and he reminds you that he finished the need for us to make ritual sacrifices for our sin. "It is finished" were the words of our Lord when he took his last breath on the cross. One moment he was dead and the next moment when the stone was rolled away from the tomb which he laid his body was gone and he was in heaven.

The decision we make to Jesus can for some be like that insurance policy we conveniently tuck away in some file, hoping to never have to use it. For some we make promises to God that after we have accomplished things in our lives we would  come back to God and listen to what he has to say to us. 

 For others the decision we make to accept Jesus evolves into a personal relationship we nurture with him all the days of our lives.  It is the latter God truly wants for each of us. It is the latter that fills our hearts with the beauty of God's word. It is the latter that brings us into contact with others who equally love the  Lord as much as we do and it is the latter that gives us the peace of mind that no matter what storm we encounter in this life He is there to guide us.

A simple prayer, a humble heart and a openness with allowing God come and change you is all you need to make that a reality.  In my own storm in 2007 I certainly found this to be true!

No comments:

Post a Comment