Translate

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Do you hear the voice of the Lord?




14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. John 10:14

Chatter, noises, competing voices, are grabbing for your attention all day long. Talk radio stations are full of lonely people trying to express their unsolicited opinions so they may have find relevance in a seemingly meaningless existence.  It seems the louder an opinion is expressed the more irrelevant is that opinion

My son came home and mentioned that his classmates had been having a conversation about the illuminati, conspiracy theories and the new world order. When I heard this I smirked a little because this conversation has been going on since I was a kid. I remember when the first George Bush was in office how people were convinced that he was part of some diabolical plan to bring in the new world order My son was of the same mindset as I was that whether these conspiracy theories exist or not  it still is not appropriate conversation for those who call themselves followers of Christ. 

 Recently, I saw an article in the Star Tribune that really poignantly gets my point across on the dangers of these conspiracy theorist or as the paper referred as the "Truther's".  Apparently, there have been people who believe that the New Town tragedy was part of the government conspiracy  to remove guns from people and some of them have been tormenting a certain grandfather with E-mails that the New Town Tragedy never happened. Really? You tell this to a man who  saved the lives of some of these children by harboring them at his home across the street from the New Town elementary school. Really? How mad can some people be to put all of their daily energy subscribing to these propositions and upsetting people who tragically lost their children?

As believer's of Jesus Christ we need to tune in to his voice. Johne 10:14 makes it abundantly clear that Jesus is the good shepherd and he knows his sheep and his sheep know him. I am thinking of the illustration of a simple GPS sitting on the dashboard of most cars. It is a very useful device and if it is programmed right will get you to where you want to go. Jesus is like that GPS device. He stands far ahead of you trying to get your attention, but with all of the unwanted clatter, noises that seem to surround our senses we are unable to see him and some follow the wrong voices. To really see and hear our shepherd's voice we need to spend time in his word. His word becomes the mechanism for us to clearly see and hear him and as we more clearly see and hear him in his word we are able to more accurately follow him.

On this day who are you following? The Truther's who believe that the New Town tragedy was part of some overall government conspiracy to take away your guns? The illuminati who you believe is part of the government effort to start a new world order? Or that Jesus Christ is who he says he is in John 10:14 as the good shepherd who knows his sheep and his sheep know him and follow him? As we follow Christ our more appropriate response to New Town is to reach out and volunteer to sit with them as they go through the painful months ahead that will no doubt be part of their lives. This is exactly what I think Jesus has in mind for us to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment