Translate

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

35W bridge collapse




It was less than a month after our family loss our daughter when another tragedy happened in our city.  I remember having supper with a friend from our Sunday school class when I got a call from my sister asking me if I was OK.  I said to her that I was and what was up.  She said that she was watching television and just learned that the 35W bridge had just collapse. Just barely able to handle my own loss tragic loss I felt a resurgence of the grief as I reflected on the people driving across this bridge during rush hour of all things and finding their cars either in the Mississippi river or dangerously close to going in.

I could not help but reflect on the children and wondering if they were able to be rescued.  I have since learned that it is normal for people who have had tragedies happen to them to be more hypersensitive  when more recent tragedies occur.  A former student who returned to Columbine high school to teach had a traumatic reaction when a bomb threat sounded the alarm where she reported wishing to be protected instead of being the protector of  the school children.

God is a master healer when tragedy strikes those we love. Regardless of the outcome God is there to help you  In time God will heal your pain and in time God will give you the peace that you long for. In the 23rd Psalm I am reminded of how much He cares for me with the the words' Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.In time God will heal you of the pain of your loss and once again you will feel a gentle smile on your face.

I bring you this story of of the 35 w bridge collapse to remind people what these survivors went through in the months following the collapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment