Translate

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tonight my heart grieves for the absentee fathers



And, fathers, do not provoke your children to anger; but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

Tonight I was thinking of several families where the fathers are absent from the home and the lack of direction their grown children are getting because of their absence.

 As a dad who has  lost a child I cannot fathom why there are dad's in this world who want nothing to do with their child.  It really pains me to see kids going aimlessly through life wishing they had a dad to play catch with or take them on vacations or just sit with them to read a story.

 In one family I recently heard about there is a father who wanted nothing to do with his daughter.  After his divorce he chose not to spend time with her.  This man hasn't even so much as encouraged his daughter to pursue college.  To make matters worst this man is supposedly a Christian.  Why would a Christian man treat his family like that? Why would a Christian man choose to leave his wife and abandon the family?  Why would a Christian man discard the bride of his youth for a younger woman? Whereas Christian guy's may justify in their minds the reason to abandon the family it is my belief knowing what it says in the bible that God will have the final say with these dad's.

I grieve for the fatherless. It pains me to see how his abandonment of the family can severely damage the spiritual, psychological, economic and social fiber of his family.  It pains me to watch as once loved kids now are forced to be latch key kids because their mom has to work long hours to pay the bills.  It pains me to see these kids wasting time in front of the television while waiting for mom to come home from work. It pains me to see these kids falling behind in their school work because there is no dad in the home to encourage their studies.  It pains me to see these fatherless homes having to use food shelves on a regular basis just get the food they need.

If you are a dad who is contemplating leaving the family I urge you to seek wise counsel . I encourage you to go with the bride of your youth to see a competent marriage counselor who can help you restore that marriage to what it was when the two of you were first married.  It may take months and maybe longer to restore this relationship, but if you are serious enough and are willing to put in the time to improve this relationship I know your children will forever be grateful that you chose to stay committed and active in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment