Translate

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Some additional memories of June Hill ( Underdahl)

 




 Corinthians 2:9 But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him."



Come with me so I can paint a picture of the upbringing of this wonderful lady. June Underdahl (Hill) grew up in a small town, a town that was thought to be so small you could throw a stick from one end to the other. The town had a small grocery store and gas station. as well as a restaurant and bar and couple of churches.


Ronneby, at the time June and her 4 siblings were little, had a two-room schoolhouse where all of the neighbor children attended. June's mom was the school teacher. Celeste Underdahl was a member of the temperest league, an organization that was against the consumption of alcoholic beverages. This was a time of the great depression, a time when she saw families broken apart by the ravages of alcohol.


Russell was a salesman of cemetery markers. It was said that his sales skills were so good that he could sell an ice cube to an Eskimo.


Celeste was also a strong bible-believing Christian who instilled those same beliefs in her children and her husband, Russell. They attended the local church on the other side of Ronneby. Truth be told they never missed a Sunday service.


Growing up in Ronneby in the 1930s wasn't easy with the fall out of the great depression, but their mom and dad didn't deny their kids the things that made them happy.


For example, their father, Russell, hired individuals who were stonemasons who built their daughters a small playhouse that even had electric lights. These gifted men were part of an Indian tribe. This playhouse was so well built that even today it is still standing and played with by another generation of children.


As I get to know others who were raised in small towns, I'm struck by their sincerity and strong work ethic. I see this first hand through the eyes of my wife, Linda whose parents also grew up during the great depression.


June's work ethic was shaped by her being raised in the great depression for she learned to not spend money frivolously. At the ripe age of 49, June learned photography and went on to win awards for many portraits she had taken.


It was her mom's faith in Jesus Christ that shaped her own lifelong desire to follow the one true God. I see this same faith in the lives of her children- Skip, Pam, Lance, and David, and again I see this in the lives of their spouses and of their offspring.


While her death leaves me saddened by the thought that we will never be able to speak to her on this side of the Veil, we do have the assurance through what Jesus did on the cross of Calvary that we will see her again the moment our lives come to a screeching halt.


In the meantime, I'm sure June would say to each of those who knew her in this life to keep on pursuing the things of God and share your story so others may come to Him. After all, God wants no one to perish.


I'm positive when June came face to face with the living savior that Jesus looked at her as he wiped the tear from her eye and said, "well done, my faithful servant. Welcome home."


As you read about June's faith story some of you may have a desire to know the God who touched her and her family's life. If you say this simple prayer, I assure you that, like June Hill, the moment your life on earth ends you will immediately see Jesus in your new heavenly home.



“Dear God,
I know I’m a sinner, and I ask for your forgiveness.
I believe Jesus Christ is Your Son. I believe that He died
for my sin and that you raised Him to life.


I want to trust Him as my Savior and follow Him as Lord,
from this day forward. Guide my life and help me to do your will.
I pray this in the name of Jesus. Amen.”










No comments:

Post a Comment