Translate

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Holy Spirit nudges from Saul to Kanye West to countless others-God uses broken people to share His message of Salvation to a world starving for good news.






9 Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem. 3 As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. 4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”5 “Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. 6 “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.” Acts 9:1-6


Recently at Grief share, a young lady shared about her nervousness of going back to church after her loss. It was a church that held many warm memories with her loved one, but in his absence, she felt emotional pain when she saw the building. One morning she arose and drove to church, but in the last moment felt the urge to turn around and go home. It was that moment she felt a slight nudge from within to go back. She got out and walked all the way to the familiar pew she sat in with her loved one. Moments later, friends came and sat with her on either side of her.


I shared my holy spirit nudge story when on the first day of the new school year when we didn't have our daughter Maria, I heard a voice from with in to go to Rainbow and buy Linda some flowers and bring it to her school. As I drove toward the store I had this fleeting thought that Cub also had a floral department and was easier to get into until I felt the nudge to go to Rainbow. As I waited for the lady behind the counter to prepare the flowers I share my grief story. When I was done she shared about the loss of her husband. I mentioned to her that I was driving my son to drama camp when I saw her husband's hearse sitting under the awning of the church. It was that nudge from within that helped me to encourage another person in grief and cheer up my wife with a bouquet of roses.


I was reminded that Kanye West was given a bible when he was hospitalized. As he read God's words, he felt the prompting of the holy spirit to accept Jesus Christ into his heart. I've learned that God will use broken people to share the good news of his salvation- news that desperate and broken people need to hear.


As the verse from Acts illustrates, Saul had a hatred for people of the Christian faith. He wanted them dead and was on his way to cause havoc. Then Saul was blinded by the light when he had to come to the conclusion that Jesus Christ was who he said he was. Even the men of Saul who were traveling with him were wondering where this voice was coming from because they couldn't see him. In this same passage, Saul opens his eyes but couldn't see anything. The men who were with him had to help him walk the rest of the way. He was blinded for 3 days and he went without food and liquid. In Damascus, there was a disciple named Ananias who God called:"“Yes, Lord,” he answered.

11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.” Ananias had heard of this man's notorious reputation and was understandably scared. Then the Lord spoke these words of comfort to him:" “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”

God uses broken people to reach those least likely to be reached.

Kanye West read the bible while in treatment and responded to the salvation message that will bring people to the Lord that you nor I wouldn't be able to reach. Our response as Christians isn't to attack Kanye's testimony, but to pray for God's protection as he grows stronger in his faith so broken people can find the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment