Translate

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Moving forward, the new normal, the reality that happiness and sadness can coexist








Job 5:11 (NKJV)He sets on high those who are lowly, and those who mourn are lifted to safety.


This week, my wife and I hit a major milestone toward our new normal when we hosted 3 couples to our home for our Lifegroup meeting.  This may seem insignificant to many, but the reality is when loss of a loved one occurs you become so enameled by that loss that you can easily close off your home where it becomes a literal human cocoon. Yet, when I glanced at our families guest book prior to 2007 it was filled with pages upon pages of visiting friends.  Hosting people was something that I missed.

My relationship with my living Savior, Jesus Christ, helped me to transverse across all of the emotional upheavals of my grief until the emotional roller coaster starts evening out with only the occasional 'hair-raising blip'.  This week's grief share presented many stories of those who developed this new normal.  One dad, who taught business at Virginia Tech on the day of the mass shooting that took his daughter's life, said that he took on a new mission of taking missions trips to Haiti and help with raising the funds for school buildings in his daughter's honor. 

Another individual described getting involved in the Grief Share ministry and helping others heal from their grief.  In every case, there were people in the midst of their pain now further along who are now smiling and telling jokes like they did prior to their loss

It is so easy, it seems, to want to grab the nearest liquor bottle and drown your sorrows when a loss occurs. Yet, when we do, it opens up another 'pandora's box leading to potential DUI offenses, going into debt to pay attorney's fees, divorce, homelessness, job loss due to absenteeism, and the list goes on. As I and others have discovered with our journey, God does keep his promises by giving you this new normal

This is why it is so important to choose the right 'worldview'.  To choose God's free gift of eternal life through the gift of his son, Jesus Christ, will give you someone who will whisper God's promises into your ear, or through Bible verses that this pain is temporary and that He will stay with you for however long it takes to develop your new normal. 

The decision I made to accept Jesus Christ as the cornerstone of my life was perhaps the greatest decision I made for my life, and the means to help me reach the new normal of my life. 

How about making it yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment