Translate

Monday, December 4, 2017

At times the waves of grief may seem like t hey will never end.....




That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!”Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!” Mark 4:35-41

A song I loved singing as a child was 'Jesus loves me, yes I know, for the bible tells me so.' Anyone who've experienced singing in children's church will likely know the rest of the words of that song. It is a poetic reminder of how much God truly loves you and me. No matter what happens to us on this journey called life, God is watching out for you.

Yet, when we lose someone special to us and we feel the torrent of emotions hitting our lives, we get this feeling that God abandoned us, and this forlorn journey of grief would never end. It is as though we are in this wooden boat on the stormy sea bailing water just to try to stay afloat. As we hear the thunderous roars and see the huge lightning beams all around us, we wonder if this is the end.

In the 4th chapter of the Gospel of Mark, Jesus is reclining at the back of the boat when his disciples experience a storm that is so bad that it looked like they would be capsized. The disciples woke Jesus up and said, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” A natural response of anyone who has ever been in a boat when a storm comes from nowhere!

He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!”Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.

Jesus next response was, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” Can you imagine what your response might have been if you were in that boat and you witnessed the wind died down and the sea returning to normal?

His disciples did when we read these words, They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!” I think Jesus's words illustrates for all of us that when we are in the storms of life (and grief is categorically one ) He will walk with us through the muck and mire of our pain no matter how long it takes.

Instead of grabbing the nearest alcoholic beverage or that addictive sedative to down your pain, trust Jesus Christ by asking him to cope with it. In time, those rough seas that you thought would swamp you will even out with just an occasional high wave you know you can face head-on and recover.

The grief journey you are on can be the signature moment of your life when God felt moments come to you through dreams, bible passages, or through conversations with your friends who were given a word of encouragement to encourage you.


Just as the words to that song, you will one day be singing the rest of  those lyrics!

'
Jesus loves me! This I know,
For the Bible tells me so;
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak, but He is strong.
Refrain:


Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so. 


Jesus loves me! This I know,
As He loved so long ago,
Taking children on His knee,
Saying, “Let them come to Me.”
Jesus loves me still today,


Walking with me on my way,
Wanting as a friend to give
Light and love to all who live. 


Jesus loves me! He who died
Heaven’s gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.
Jesus loves me! He will stay
Close beside me all the way;
Thou hast bled and died for me,
I will henceforth live for Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment