Translate

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Joy






For this is what the Lord says— he who created theheavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made theearth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited— he says: “I am the Lord, and there is no other. Isaiah 45:18





I spent the best of two days putting up Christmas lights which means I was outdoors enjoying nature,  sunshine, and getting physical exercise.  The by-product of this effort left me with a feeling of euphoria. It was like I had this overflowing river of joy brimming up from below. 

While driving to the hardware store to buy an item I didn't have, I had my radio tuned to our local Christian FM radio station otherwise known as KTIS which this time of year has been playing joy lifting Christmas songs.  

Between the time I spent outdoors soaking up the radiance of the sun and everything God's abundant nature provided from the bunny running through the yard to dogs playing fetch to the birds flying overhead, I sense this brimming source of optimism radiating through every vein and artery of my body. 

At dinner time we heard this news report that perfectly defined what it was I was experiencing: Eco-therapy.

Ecotherapy is the name given to a wide range of treatment programmes which aim to improve your mental and physical wellbeing while doing outdoor activities in nature.https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/ecotherapy/#.Whp__EqnHIU  

Once God created the earth and all of the animals and nature, he made man to be the overseers of the earth. This meant he wanted men and woman to enjoy all of the fruits and benefits of God's creation by occasionally going outdoors for long walks, hiking in the park, camping, or simply sitting in a chair by a gently flowing creek.

  How we forget these simple things when pain and grief enter our lives where our first inclination is to stay in a darkened room. away from the health benefits of nature.  Since I began facilitating grief share, I have heard stories miracle stories of what happens when grieving people venture outdoors-  God does wonderful things to lift them up.  Doctors are now encouraging their patients to take walks in the park as a way to help them feel better. 

If we all did this, think how much better our bodies would feel? Our world has incredible beauty spread on all the far-reaching continents for people to enjoy. We were made to be in balance with nature.


We were meant to enjoy the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment