Translate

Wednesday, March 29, 2017






7 A Samaritan woman went to get some water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink of water.” 8 (His disciples had gone into the city to buy some food.)
9 The Samaritan woman asked him, “How can a Jewish man like you ask a Samaritan woman like me for a drink of water?” (Jews, of course, don’t associate with Samaritans.)
10 Jesus replied to her, “If you only knew what God’s gift is and who is asking you for a drink, you would have asked him for a drink. He would have given you living water.”




On my first full day of my 'staycation,' my wife and I did a variety of chores around our home before taking our son's labrador retriever on a lengthy walk through Bunker Hills Regional park. Once returning home we had supper before we decided to venture to the movie theater in town to watch the latest rendition of 'Beauty and the Beast.

At the theater, we picked our choice of seats, seats that recline, and went into the theater. Next to us were a mother and daughter, with the traditional but modern hijab, who were also there to enjoy this movie.

Later that evening, I was reminded of the biblical story of Jesus at the well when he had a conversation with a Samaritan woman, someone the Jewish people weren't supposed to talk to, but yet Jesus knew everything about this woman and wanted her to know that He had what she truly needed which was 'living water'. I couldn't help but see the parallel between the Samaritans of that time period and today's people of the Muslim faith. Also, I couldn't help but see the thousands of Muslim people coming to Jesus every day because of their dreams of seeing Jesus.

Perhaps, I thought, God, has sent us these people  to find the 'living water?' Perhaps, our response should not be a response to 'fear' but a response of 'love'? Instead of hating these people and building walls, we ought to give them a cup of cold water and learn to be their friend?

 Franklin Delano Roosevelt said one time, "there is nothing to fear, but fear itself". I think it is a reminder to all of us to focus on what we have in common with each other, not our differences.

I'm proud of my city of Coon Rapids, a city that has chosen to embrace diversity, not fear it. In a way, it is like the city of St. Louis Park I grew up in with its diversity of Jewish and Japanese immigrants who were prevented from settling in other suburbs because of their backgrounds. To this day, I have memories of hearing the stories of our Japanese American neighbors next door who were once forced into WWII camps despite being American citizens. I also remember the stories of Jewish Nazi concentration camp neighbors--all because my city embraced diversity.

Our God sent his son, Jesus, to die for all people of all diverse backgrounds and it is our job as believers to love them just as Jesus shared this living water with the Samaritan woman at the well.

No comments:

Post a Comment