Translate

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Why we must walk by faith and not by sight



7 For we walk by faith, not by sight 2 Corinthians 5:7



This simple train illustration helped me understand the difference between faith and my feelings when it came to my decision to accept Jesus into my life as a high school senior.

I knew my entire life would be filled with sad and depressing moments, but I must not place my emotions ( the caboose) before the engine (my faith) or the coal car( the source of the engine's power.

I know, for example, that if I were to place the caboose ( my emotions) in front the my faith the train won't go anywhere. It would sit dead on the track. My emotions are too volatile to be trusted to guide me.

As pain enters our lives our emotions will likely persuade us to stay home instead of placing one foot in front of the other and go to a church to sing praises to our creator God. They will likely be the reason we drink a 6 pack of beer or down a bottle of wine, or stay up all night playing video games.

So our emotions must not be the deciding factor why we choose to follow Jesus, or turn away. As important people suddenly die your emotions will rise and fall, but it is when you cling to your faith and the knowledge that supports that faith you will, like the Ever Ready Bunny, keep going, going and going.

Our emotions are important, but we must temper those emotions by trusting God that he knows what he is doing with our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment