Translate

Thursday, September 22, 2016




Build Your House on the Rock
 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” Matthew 7:24-27


In the background, I could hear the sounds of hammering and sawing. Josh, who just accepted Jesus into his heart is enjoying talking to his new best friend Jesus as he hammers boards of lumber in place. 

"Jesus, thank you for coming into my life when I prayed last night."   Jesus smiles while assuring Josh that he is only a prayer call away.

Josh momentarily stops hammering and asks Jesus what they were building. 

"We;re making a firm foundation" Jesus answers while continuing to saw the boards of lumber..
"A firm foundation?," Josh asks." What's wrong with the one I have?"
Jesus sets his saw down while looking into his eyes, " It's Ok, but I want to make it stronger."
"Why?" Josh asks.
Jesus gently places his hand on Josh's shoulder and with a smile he adds, " because I want your new faith in me to survive those times when storms come."

Josh acts surprised when Jesus said that.
"Whoa, what storms?" Joshua feels a sense of panic setting in. "I thought when I prayed that prayer inviting you to come into my life that my life would be happy and I would always have success."
" and you will have lots of happiness because I am with you, but I want to help you build a firm foundation of faith so that when the storms in this life come your faith will stand."

Josh reflects on what Jesus said, "What's wrong with the foundation I have?"
Jesus points Josh toward a different direction, " Josh, look at that foundation and ask what is the difference between that one and the one we're building for you?"
Josh studies it for a moment.
"It looks like that one is built on sandy soil," Josh pauses. " the one we're building is on top of a solid foundation."

"You are so correct Josh. When the storms of this life come and plummet the ground with rain and the wind which foundation will survive? The one I'm helping your build or the one that was built on sandy soil?"

As though it were a no-brainer Josh answers. " The one we're building." Jesus smiles. 
" You are correct Josh." Josh and his new friend go back to constructing his foundation before he was hit with the question that most of us in life wonder.
"Jesus, I'm afraid."
"Afraid of what?" Jesus sets his tool down while looking into Josh's eyes.
"the storms you said would come my way."

Jesus reminds Josh with these words, " This foundation we're building for you will stand against those storms. I will be with you through the good times of your life and I will be your guide when those storms do come. You have the assurances of my word to bank on that."  

Josh had peace with that thought before quipping. "Let's build the strongest foundation we can for my life."  

Jesus and Josh return to the sawing and hammering of the boards as they continue building Josh's foundation of faith that would help him weather the storms of this life.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment