Translate

Thursday, December 3, 2015

From mass shooting to the hope in Jesus



7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is [a]born of God and knows God. I John 4:7



Today, we had another mass shooting. As word of the gunman leaked out I learned that the gunmen were dressed in black face masks and tactical gear, armed with long guns and pistols of which they entered a holiday party for San Bernardino county health workers as it was in full swing. Before they fled, they had killed 14 people and wounded 17 others.


One gunman was positively identified as Syed Farook, rumored to be a employed by the California State Health department. As I heard the name mentioned the hairs on my back stood up when I began to think of the mass hysteria toward anyone with a foreign sounding name the day after this horrific event.

 I have always had empathy toward those who suffer. It goes back to when I was in the first grade when I chose to do a picture book I called, 'growing up black' I have always had the ability to project others into my stories and make them feel the emotions of the thoughts I was trying to convey.  In junior high  I would write my history papers from the first person perspective of a news anchorman helping the reader  to think he was right there in the story.

Syed Farook

Foreign sounding name

Once again there will be mass hysteria  and   paranoia toward anyone with a foreign sounding name.

 Several days ago a woman of the Muslim faith went out with her nieces to the local Applebees and was struck in the face with a beer mug  by another woman who was angered toward what she represented. She required multiple stitches, has nightmares cannot sleep, and is filled with fear that every time she ventures out that someone will hit her or spit on her because of who she represented in their minds.

Mass hysteria prevents people from seeing the good from the bad  It causes the mob mentality to take over their rational thought process. It breeds hate and puts a large group of people on edge because they have a foreign sounding name.

Now I want to introduce you to Nabeel Qureshi.

 Nabeel was a former Muslim, converted to the Christian faith because of a friendship he struck up with  another Christian who took the step of faith and reached out to him. No mass hysteria. No paranoia.  Simply the love of Christ.  

It is important as we go about our usual business tomorrow to see people through the eyes of God. 

 The more I interact with different cultural groups I find that many of them would grow anxious when  atrocities are done bu a few really bad people. The motives of good people are questioned whenever a person with a foreign name kills innocent people.

 If you are prone to mass hysteria and paranoid thinking following these horrific events I encourage you to avoid listening to the radio or even the evening news which will do nothing but aggravate you.

Instead, think of the thousands of people with foreign sounding names living the American dream just as you are and who are no more likely to kills as the majority of American's.http://www.biography.com/people/groups/immigration-us-immigrant

As you encounter people tomorrow with foreign sounding names please offer them a smile and wish them a good day. If you had the extra occasion to spend time with them offer to treat them to a meal out as a token of your appreciation for them.

A famous song I remember from my youth reminds me that one person can make a difference in a world of mass hysteria and paranoia. Won't you join me to make a difference in this world? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadZ8nCLBsI

No comments:

Post a Comment