Translate

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Wouldn't it be cool that in honor of Thanksgiving we all became organ donors?

W



2 Corinthians 4:16New Life Version (NLV)
Life Now—Life in Heaven
16 This is the reason we do not give up. Our human body is wearing out. But our spirits are getting stronger every day.


The other day I read about Minnesota baseball legion Rod Carew's plight with death. Still active helping  the Minnesota Twin's,  Carew felt a burning sensation in his chest and clammy hands while playing golf at the Corona's Cresta Verde Golf course in Californa. Mike Digiovanna, contact reporter with the Los Angeles Times writes about that incident in his recent column:

'After hitting his drive down the middle of the first fairway at Corona’s Cresta Verde Golf Course on Sept. 20, Carew’s chest began to burn, and his hands grew clammy. He returned to the clubhouse, crumpled to the floor and asked a woman to call a paramedic.

The next thing he knew,“There was a guy with two paddles in his hands, saying, ‘Hurry, we’re losing him!’ ” Carew said. Carew’s heart stopped beating. Twice. Both times, he was revived. When Carew woke up in the emergency room of Riverside Community Hospital, he was told he suffered a major heart attack.

Rod Carew at the age of 70 needs a new heart to replace his failing one. As a temporary fix Rod Carew received a computer-controlled, battery operated pump known as a left ventricular assist device (LVAD)

 There is something else I want to share about Rod Carew. In 1996. Rod Carew's 18-year-old daughter died from a rare form of Leukemia while waiting for a donor bone marrow which in the end could never be found, or was the match she needed.

In 1996 Minnesota Baseball legion, the sports figure every kid idolized joined the club no parent ever wanted to belong: parents who have lost a child. As a dad who belongs to such a club I can tell you that the pain from this loss is unlike any other. 

No parent is ever prepared to bury a child, no matter what the age.

There is another aspect to this blog and that is the shortage of  organ donors.. Rod Carew's daughter needed bone marrow and had a match been found she might still be alive today. Rod Carew needs a donated heart.  Each day, for example, 22 people die waiting for an organ that never comes because of a shortage of them,  while one person is added to the waiting list every 10 minutes. For more statistics on this you can go to this link:http://www.organdonor.gov/about/data.html

No one wants to consider their eventual demise. We all think we are going to live to be 90 and consequently it is hard for any of us to wrap our fingers around donating our organs. Yet, the greatest act of love everyone of us can do is sign up to be a organ donor. 

Now that you understand the dire need for new organs I encourage you to go to this website to register to be a donor in Minnesota. https://www.lifesourcedonorregistry.org/donate.aspx For all other states go to Donate the gift of life and type in the state you live in and sign up at your state's site.

As a believer I know where my daughter is at this moment. She is in heaven enjoying all of the benefits of her forever home. Knowing this I have a certain peace that the world may not understand which helps me face my grief with the influence of  God's Holy Spirit.  If you aren't sure if you are a Christian you can be sure reciting this prayer:



Dear Lord,

I admit that I am a sinner. I have done many things that don’t please you. I have lived my life for myself. I am sorry and I repent. I ask you toforgive me. I believe that you died on the cross for me, to save me. You did what I could not do for myself. I come to you now and ask you to take control of my life, I give it to you. Help me to live every day in a way that pleases you. I love you, Lord, and I thank you that I will spend all eternity with you.

Amen.
One last thing. in honor of Thanksgiving day won't you consider signing up to be a organ donor today.  Lives are counting on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment